???? about diving the Big Island(Waikoloa)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taz-diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to The Big Island Feb 20-26th and have some questions. We are staying at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott.

1. How difficult is the shore diving in Feb(entry & exit)?

2. Are the shore dive sites well marked?

3. What are some good dive charter companies in that area far as price and value?

4. What are some good companies to rent tanks and weights from?

5. Any other divers going to be at that resort on those days?

Last edited:
I like diving with Jack's Diving Locker in Kona. Great outfit. And February is whale season and a prime time to dive their. Near your hotel, an easy shore dive can be made from Puako Beach.

Shore diving can be a day to day thing in February, some days it'll be great, some days it could be rough.. some years it's diveable every day, some years it's blown out a third of the time. You'll need to take a look at things at the time you are here.

The resort you are staying at isn't known for shore diving at the resort itself, but it's within a short drive of some terriffic diving to the north in Puako and beyond. The dive sites aren't "marked" with any kind of signage as being dive sites. There are two or three Kona/Kohala area shore diving websites that will give you pretty easy to follow directions.

I'm not that familiar with the operators to the north, but I've heard some nice things about Kohala Divers and Blue Wilderness up that direction, I'd check with them especially if you are looking at renting gear for shore diving up that direction. There are several good full time retail shops down in Kona for renting gear if you are headed that direction. There's plenty of boat operators in Kona, if you're headed Kona direction for some boat dives and are interested in smaller groups, no rush, and are good on air and want 70-90 minute dives if you are capable of it, check out my dive op in the links below.

Have a blast!

(disclaimer: My sister is a DMI for Kohala Divers, so naturally I'm biased.)

Someone may need to correct me, but didn't Blue Wilderness close up shop 3-4 years ago? If that is the case, Kohala Divers is the closest boat dive shop to you. Since they are a bit outside of the Kailua-Kona area, you tend to get fewer Intro. and beginner divers, opening up a few more of the really interesting areas. My personal favorite is Lava Dome, with the swim-throughs at Horseshoe Reef being a close second.

Shore diving in the Kohala area is kind of tough. The entries can be a bit hairy, especially with higher surf. With that said, Puako is probably your best bet. Black Point is accessible (4wd might be required) and, if you have a local guide, you might be able to find a way to get in at Horseshoe as well (about 10min north of the harbor). I have also heard of people diving at Hale o Kapuni Heiau (called Shark Heiau for a reason...), but, as with any of the sacred heiaus, you have to be _very_ careful about where you park, walk and dive.

Blue Wilderness has a small shop in the Queen's Shops and runs a 6 pack hard bottom inflatable out of Puako or Kawaihae I believe. There was a shop down by the Blue Dolphin in Kawaihae that stopped a fews back.

Blue Wilderness is totally still in business. I was just in there the other day.

While I think Blue Wilderness is a good dive op. For boat diving here on the Kohala Coast my natural bias is also Kohala Divers (they're also my LDS). However you'll get a little more freedom diving on BW's boat but it is much smaller. KDL's boat is bigger and more comfortable. Both offer quality service and friendly people. Also they'll both dive will rent you tanks and weights for basically the same price.

Shore diving this time of year is a little dicey. The swell is currently making Puako entries and exits pretty tough. (check out this video I took from Sunday morning) Best to go into Kohala divers and ask how the conditions are while you're here. A few of their employees are avid local shore divers.... or just PM me and I'll give you a Puako surf report.

Have fun and be safe while you're here,

-Eric

Thanks fris, I was thinking of that small local dive operation that was right at the fork where the road splits to Havi and the harbor. It's now a beach accessory shop.

Funnily enough Ocean Sports who operate the 65' catamaran Alala just took over that spot.

-Eric

ML:
Thanks fris, I was thinking of that small local dive operation that was right at the fork where the road splits to Havi and the harbor. It's now a beach accessory shop.

Back
Top Bottom