Aava Isle project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jury

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Divers from all over the world. I want to introduce you a New Great project for Scuba Divers - Aava Isle.Aava Isle’s unique water cube gives divers new possibilities to train, present and regenerate the sport. It’s an easy and safe way for beginners to take first contact on diving and professional divers can use it to invent something unprecedented for both them and the audience! You are welcome in our community!
Kuva15.png

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 10:55 AM ----------

Join us at https://community.aavaisle.com/

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

Aava Isle is an innovation for divers: A floating platform containing a large, transparent water-filled diving cube connected directly to the depths of the sea below.
Our goals are:

• To enable divers to develop diving into something completely new.
  • To help professional divers and others in the diving community create new income models and earn their living around the sport.
  • To give both new and more experienced divers the possibility to enjoy their lifestyle in an all-new environment.
How divers use the diving cube is completely up to them. The tank measures 16 meters (52 feet) in length, 8 meters (26 feet) in width and has a depth of 5 meters (16 feet). The area can be used to develop completely new diving sports or activities, directly in front of the spectators. With the help of our social business model and the diving community, we expect to see totally new forms of diving sports and activities take shape. This also helps professional divers create new ways to put their expertise to use and earn their living.
Aava Isle was originally designed as an easy and safe way to introduce new people to diving. Diving students can observe lessons from outside the tank and practice diving inside it. Instructors are able speak to their class from within the tank, which is makes it an excellent way to teach and learn more advanced diving techniques as well.
And if diving is not your thing, there are numerous other ways to use the tank. Read more about them in the Entertainment and Recreation sections – or join our community and let your creativity flow.

Kuva15.png

... transparent water-filled diving cube connected directly to the depths of the sea below ...

So what keeps the water in your "...transparent water-filled diving cube connected directly to the depths of the sea below." ?
Basic physics and the old expression "water seeks its own level" make me wonder.

So what keeps the water in your "...transparent water-filled diving cube connected directly to the depths of the sea below." ?
Basic physics and the old expression "water seeks its own level" make me wonder.

According to their site they use pumps to create an underpressure situation...

According to their site they use pumps to create an underpressure situation...
Thanks, although that would seem to be a significant "underpressure" to raise and maintain such a volume of water so high. And what about the risk of a diver surfacing into that "underpressure"? Additionally, each exhalation from divers would reduce the underpressure, lowering the water, requiring more pumping. Just doesn't seem very practical.

I've been trying to figure out how I would design such a thing, and toyed with the idea of adding a stack to the airspace as high again as the intended height of the water. Then perhaps only a half-atmosphere vacuum would be all that was required? Even if that worked, it would require the entire vessel to be extremely sturdy, and still doesn't address the risk to the divers when they surface.

I'd need to see some calculations by qualified engineers and some more design details before I'd give this credibility.

Thanks, although that would seem to be a significant "underpressure" to raise and maintain such a volume of water so high. And what about the risk of a diver surfacing into that "underpressure"? Additionally, each exhalation from divers would reduce the underpressure, lowering the water, requiring more pumping. Just doesn't seem very practical.

I've been trying to figure out how I would design such a thing, and toyed with the idea of adding a stack to the airspace as high again as the intended height of the water. Then perhaps only a half-atmosphere vacuum would be all that was required? Even if that worked, it would require the entire vessel to be extremely sturdy, and still doesn't address the risk to the divers when they surface.

I'd need to see some calculations by qualified engineers and some more design details before I'd give this credibility.

Mind you, I'm just repeating what their site said, not endorsing their engineers. ;-)

Hey, i see you are interesting in engener part. =) I can find our project engeneer to create a discusiing))) I want to know what do you (divers) think about such project? Is it interesting for you? May be you have some comments. Share please.

An interesting idea for a structure, if it were a bar or steakhouse, I would definitely party there. However, I'm not sure it would have any application for the dive market. This thing would cost many millions of dollars to build (a lot more money than a really nice charter boat). The boat captains here will tell you about the financial challenges of running a profitable live-a-board. I don't know if the money part of the equation could ever work for this.

Also, I don't know know how practical it is to raise a chunk of the ocean to above the deck level just so people could see divers. It would be easier to lower the deck below sea level so visitors could watch through glass wall. Many resorts, aquariums and parks have places like this.

I don't get to travel much internationally anymore so location would be a big factor for me. But, if it was close and reasonably priced I would definitely go check it out. If I had a good time, I would go there often. There is no doubt it would be an amazing place (as planned) but the issue is more of a long term financial concern for such a facility.

It's very tough making a large investment in diving pay off.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/eastern-canada/440080-montreal-50-deep-indoor-pool-shut-down.html

I hope you success. I'd love to see this thing. (The Ultimate: Sitting on the deck of this facility drinking a top-shelf margarita after a nice dive watching schooling noobies through the glass. If you build this thing you got to put a a full-service liquor bar in it.))

If the bottom of the water box is submerged on all sides and sealed at the top all you need to do is pump out the air and the water will be drawn up into the box. This means the water box is an overhead diving environment and not suitable for beginners. This may also cause the entire platform to become unstable as this much water will raise the center on gravity. The box will contain about 4,300 tons of water and if the specs on the site are right at least 2,150 tons of that will be above the water line. If the diagram on the site is correct that may put it closer to 3,200 tons above the water line. The other problem with this much water weight above the water line is that it is not dead weight, when the platform moves the water inside the box will move and keep moving for a period of time after the platform stops moving.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom