AAUS Science Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin Phillips

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
There is a local job available looking working for a science company doing research on zebra mussles in my local area. They are looking for divers for the summer but they want their divers to be AAUS certified Science Divers. I can't find much on how to get this cert. It seems like you need to be invited into it but sometimes in the summer you can get in. I am just curious if anyone has any info. I am a graduage student in marine science and looking for any job I can get to dive and get experience around the science part. I am trying to track down the recruiter for the position and start talking to them but was curios if anyone had AAUS sience diver info. I am a member of AAUS but still trying to find info.

You should have better connection than most; when I (briefly) looked into it, it seemed to be mostly available as a part of marine studies university programs, and had currency requirements that would be tough to meet unless you were a student in a program.

Perhaps this might be helpful at least seeing some of the requirements for the program:

Perhaps this might be helpful at least seeing some of the requirements for the program:
Their diving management system is named “Bloop”? I like these people…

Generally AAUS classes are offered by universities or other member organizations with the purpose of training their own students/staff. Sometimes they do allow members of the public to fill extra spots in the classes though. The thing with AAUS is that your certification is somewhat "tied" to the member that certifies you and you therefore may have to apply for reciprocity (essentially verifying your training/standing) in order to participate in programs run by other AAUS member organizations. Non-member organizations that want you to have the certification generally don't care where you got it though.

If your university offers the course, that would be your best bet as a grad student! Start by contacting the DSO (dive safety officer) for your university if one exists to inquire about the course. If your school doesn't have such a program, check with other nearby universities as they might. Hope that helps!

From
----------------------------------------​

Certification Program​

AAUS Scientific Diver Certification
AAUS Scientific Diver certifications are not like recreational certifications. An AAUS certification can only be obtained by taking an AAUS course from an AAUS Organizational member (OM), not any dive shop or training facility, and is only valid if you are then diving under the auspices of an AAUS OM. You will find a list of our Organizational members at www.aaus.org (map and list about 3/4 of the way down the home page). Each of these Organizations have their own rules about who can take their courses (staff, students, general public), when they offer them and the cost of the course. If you are looking for an AAUS certification opportunity, AAUS suggests you contact an OM in your area or one you already have an affiliation with in order to find a course that may fit your needs.

Occasionally, there are AAUS courses that are open to general enrollment. These are usually in the summer. The most reliable way of finding out about those courses is through our monthly newsletter that is available to members. Membership in AAUS does not require that you are an AAUS certified diver. Individual membership information can be found under the JOIN tab and student memberships start at $25/year.

Keep in mind that AAUS certification or AAUS science diver training occurs when a diver is trained through an AAUS Organizational member as an AAUS scientific diver. AAUS membership occurs when an individual chooses to join the Academy. Certification does not equal membership. Certified divers must actively join AAUS if they wish to become members. Conversely, membership in AAUS does NOT denote an active AAUS science diver status.

AAUS does not issue certification cards unless the training Organization/Instructor participates in the optional card program. Organizations and Instructors can find out more about this program by contacting the AAUS office.
=========================​
There are no organizational members listed for the State of Wisconsin, where I assume you are a graduate student. I assume, therefore, your university does NOT have a science diving program or activity. You may want to contact the people offering the summer job and point this out, and ask what credentials would they accept instead?

You mention that you are a graduate student in marine biology. Does your university have a scientific diving prigram? If so, to become a scientific diver you must go through the university's scientific diving program, sometimes called a "100 hours course." if your university has a scientific diving program, chances are they are affiliated with AAUS. Many univesities run the certification course throughout the academic year. In my expereience, these are no "for credit classes" but run by the campus diving officer. courses might also be offered through certain non-profits engaged in underwater research or aquariums.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom