AAAAARRRGGGHHH the weather gods strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Headed to the flower gardens tomorrow and by the looks of the weather in the gulf, it won't happen.

Damn you weather, damn you!!!! (shakes fist in the air).

What really makes it hurt is you know that the whales sharks and mantas will be schooling by the mooring buoy, feeding on the spawning coral, watching as a freak schooling of hammer heads comes by.

We'll get the call tomorrow after 10:30 AM but its not looking favorable. We can abort up to 1:00 when our flight leaves. It just sucks to think about dragging all of our gear plus my two camera hard cases to the airport to hear that the only diving we can do is in the freeport harbor (heard we can spot rare artifacts like ancient budweiser cans that have pop tops on them).

If you're in Austin, why aren't you driving, cjames? I can make it down after the go/no-go call from the Dallas area.

But regardless, I feel for ya. I'm booked for Labor Day weekend, and crossing my fingers that one goes (3-dayer!) If it's any consolation they've been reporting really warm water down there, so the rain and clouds are actually good for the gardens - cool the water temp back down a hair maybe ???

p.s. cjames - your link is broken (j2xphotography.com?)

cjames:
Headed to the flower gardens tomorrow and by the looks of the weather in the gulf, it won't happen.

Damn you weather, damn you!!!! (shakes fist in the air).

What really makes it hurt is you know that the whales sharks and mantas will be schooling by the mooring buoy, feeding on the spawning coral, watching as a freak schooling of hammer heads comes by.

Chill out dude...its just a FG trip!

Why would you be flying from Austin, Tx..lol..?

:shakehead:

Yes I saw it on the weather channel, doesn't look good. And it even looks like another storm following in a few days. I am booked on the Spree for next Mon-Wed trip. I hope maybe it will be between storms. And we are driving down from Tulsa Sunday.

I spent most of my early summer crying that I wouldn't be able to get in a FG trip in August (new grandson due, time constraints, etc...). I had tentatively selected the weekend of Aug 18-19 way back in May, though. However, since my trip didn't work out I've been caught up in another dive event at CSSP, and since that's closer, I can make that one. That alleviated my pining somewhat, but not entirely.

NOW I don't feel so bad.

I know that's no consolation for you, but if it helps I know exactly how you feel. I've had trips "waved out" before, too. It happens! Hopefully, you'll be able to make another one in the future.

I'm booked on the 23rd trip. Not looking good here either. Personally, I think Florida is due for a good summer bath. Hopefully, the storm will turn north. If it is a wash, I'll find out before leaving Austin. Flying from Austin????

(Sighs) Well the weather went from bad to worse, just waiting for the call. I fly because I hate long drives and because I can. Need those frequent flyer miles so I can make the big trips (next year Australian and PNG for 4 weeks) for free.

Fixed my URL, thanks for catching that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom