A95 discontinued... A610 good alternative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
i have the same camera and am still shopping around for a decent strobe. may i ask why you choose the sea and sea over other brands such as inon and sealife?

Hey Spoon, I chose the sea and sea because I was told it was specifically made for digital cameras and also, I've had several S&S cameras before and always liked their product. It also came highly recommended by several photographers I quizzed.

According to canon's spec sheet for the A610, it's focusing range is:
Normal AF: 45cm~infinity (1.5ft~infinity)
Macro AF: 1~45cm (0.4 in.~1.5 ft) (WIDE), 25~45cm (9.8in~1.5ft) (except WIDE)

I'm assuming except WIDE means focusing when not in widest angle. At wide angle, a minimum focusing distance of 1cm should be more than enough space to fill the frame of most of your shots, you just have to be a bit further from the subject than with a lens that has a smaller focal length.

I don't know if focal length makes much of a difference, but I think that if I can get the camera to focus the frame I'm trying to compose, I will be satisfied.

DesertEagle:
Has anyone seen the Canon housing for the A610 & 620? Take a look at the lens port:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/Canon/a620-06.jpg

Would this make it tricky for Inon to make an AD-mount adapter?

I'm hoping Ike will have a housing for these models because they look pretty good.

That sux :frown: . It looks like the whole thing is one piece. Might be very difficult, if not impossible, to make an adapter for the housing. If Ikelite makes a housing, I'm gonna have to buy it.

midwestdvr

Don't know much about the a95 other than playing with it in the store but I have shot with both the a80 and the oly 5050 and can say that the oly is noticeable faster at focusing and shutter lag. It also has more bells and whistles too but it is larger and that stinks when just wanting to take a camera to a party or surface event without looking like a tourist. My opinion is to wait for the faster camera if it really is. It makes a dif. but I have some really nice shots with my a80 too.

DesertEagle:
Has anyone seen the Canon housing for the A610 & 620? Take a look at the lens port:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/Canon/a620-06.jpg

Would this make it tricky for Inon to make an AD-mount adapter?

I'm hoping Ike will have a housing for these models because they look pretty good.

Looking at the picture of the housing, it appears to me that the diffuser is encased in what looks like a rubber boot that also fits over the lens port (as scratch protection?). From where the "lanyard" is attached it looks to me like the whole boot arrangement comes off, which means an Inon mount will still attach.

wettek:
Looking at the picture of the housing, it appears to me that the diffuser is encased in what looks like a rubber boot that also fits over the lens port (as scratch protection?). From where the "lanyard" is attached it looks to me like the whole boot arrangement comes off, which means an Inon mount will still attach.

i sure hope so. i've gotten used to canon housing and i'd hate to spend time on getting used to another brand.

scubadobadoo:
Don't know much about the a95 other than playing with it in the store but I have shot with both the a80 and the oly 5050 and can say that the oly is noticeable faster at focusing and shutter lag. It also has more bells and whistles too but it is larger and that stinks when just wanting to take a camera to a party or surface event without looking like a tourist. My opinion is to wait for the faster camera if it really is. It makes a dif. but I have some really nice shots with my a80 too.

So I bought the a610 today and boy is it faster than my a80! Shutter lag is VERY quick even with auto focus on. Shutter lag on the a80 is SLLLOOOOOOW! The extra LCD size is nice too. Movie quality is much better too. If you own an older model canon A series you may want to consider getting the newer model. I am frugal but this is a purchase I don't yet regret. I keep turning it on and off just to enjoy the quick start up. My only complaint is that the door for the av in/out is a bit flimsy (and I also wish it took CF cards so I wouldn't have to buy an SD card)but that's getting picky. :D

We have 2 A95's with housings and they are awesome cameras. Try and get one while you can. The issue I have is the case. I am looking for replacement O-rings. Anyone have a clue on where to get O-rings. The factory ain't the right answer either...they say find a repair shop or dealer. So far, no luck for me. Show me some love on O-rings.

Back
Top Bottom