A95 discontinued... A610 good alternative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking to get the A95 w/ housing at BH Photo & Video, but I waited too long and the A95 is now discontinued. Does anyone know of a reputable online store that still carries the A95, or should I go for the A610, which BH claims replaced the A95.

I don't know if I would go that route... The A610 has 35mm film equivalentof the lens: 35-140mm. Personally, I chose for my wife the S70 powershot. It has a 35mm film equivalent: 28-100mm. It's 7 megapixel also. She has taken AMAZING photos with the S70... Look at my gallery, and all of the newer photos are with the S70.

You want a wide angle lens... as wide as you can get for UW.

You can still find them all over the place. www.canon.com has them....www.nextag.com also has them. do a search and you will find all kinds of places that has them. if you have a Target store in your area they also sell them.

The A95 is everywhere (B&H has used ones), but it might be worth waiting for the A610 (5mp) or the A620 (7mp). Both cameras use Canon's Digic II processor chip which was previously only available in the SLR or G series cameras----this should significantly increase the speed at which these point & shoot cameras focus. Canon claimes an increase of 60% increase in focusing speed and 0.1 second shutter lag. If their 60% increase is correct that would put full autofocus shutter lag at ~0.4 seconds.

I'm not an UW photo expert, so the advantage of a 28mm wide angle lens is lost on me. Cameras such as the venerable Oly 5050 have 35-105mm equivalents, which is similar to the A610 or A620 (35-140mm).

Around Seattle, I don't imagine there are too many wide angle opportunities. However, the macro function was increased on both of these cameras---minimum focus length of 1cm.

JK

Blackfish:
The A95 is everywhere (B&H has used ones), but it might be worth waiting for the A610 (5mp) or the A620 (7mp). Both cameras use Canon's Digic II processor chip which was previously only available in the SLR or G series cameras----this should significantly increase the speed at which these point & shoot cameras focus. Canon claimes an increase of 60% increase in focusing speed and 0.1 second shutter lag. If their 60% increase is correct that would put full autofocus shutter lag at ~0.4 seconds.

JK

if your figures are accurate then i feel bad i dint wait it out for the a610. i just purchased my a95 3 weeks ago...

I'm just blathering on with Canon propaganda. Who knows how these cameras will actually perform---you can't buy them yet. From what I've seen, people are take great shots with the A95, not to mention cameras like the Oly 5050 and Oly 5060---which are what--3 years old?

It is just a tool. The end product is going to depend upon the skill with which is used, and not so much the speed of the processor. I get too hung up on gear & need to remind myself of that frequently.

Blackfish:
I'm just blathering on with Canon propaganda. Who knows how these cameras will actually perform---you can't buy them yet. From what I've seen, people are take great shots with the A95, not to mention cameras like the Oly 5050 and Oly 5060---which are what--3 years old?

It is just a tool. The end product is going to depend upon the skill with which is used, and not so much the speed of the processor. I get too hung up on gear & need to remind myself of that frequently.
well said

Call Helix Photo in Chicago...I just got an A95 w/ housing and a YS-25 Sea and Sea Strobe for around $1000 in June. I took it to Komodo National Park a week later. You can check out my gallery, It was definately trial and error...But I love the camera...all the land shots were taken with it as well.

SCUBAJENNIFER:
Call Helix Photo in Chicago...I just got an A95 w/ housing and a YS-25 Sea and Sea Strobe for around $1000 in June. I took it to Komodo National Park a week later. You can check out my gallery, It was definately trial and error...But I love the camera...all the land shots were taken with it as well.

i have the same camera and am still shopping around for a decent strobe. may i ask why you choose the sea and sea over other brands such as inon and sealife?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom