A650 IS or G9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have any of you used both?

Consumer Reports seems to give a slight edge to the A650 IS, which surprised me...

Have any of you used both?

Consumer Reports seems to give a slight edge to the A650 IS, which surprised me...

I have not used both cameras, but I just bought a G9 this week and am very happy with my purchase.

When I compare the specs sheet for the G9 vs. the A650IS, this is what I see:

- The G9 and the 650 both offer an effective resolution of 12.1 Million Pixels.

-The G9 offers you the ability to shoot in RAW, and the 650 does not.

-The G9 offers video recording at 1024 x 768 @ 15fps and the 650 only offers 640 x 480 @ 30fps.

-They both offer 6 x's optical zoom and 4 x's digital zoom (35mm - 210mm equivalent).

-They both have roughly equivalent focal range.

-They both offer equivalent sensitivity (ISO Range).

-The G9 offers a bit higher shutter speed (15 to 1/2500) as compared to the 650's (15 to 1/2000).

-The G9 offers an aperture range up to f11, as compared to the 650's range up to f8.

-They both offer similar exposure moves (i.e., shutter priority, aperature priority, manual, etc.), except the G9 offers the option of programing 2 seperate custom settings, which is very convenient.

-The G9 offers a hot shoe for external flash connection and the 650 does not.

-The 650 uses AA Batteries, which includes the ability to use NiMH rechargeables, which is a very nice feature! The G9 uses a large lithium battery (same battery used on the 400 XTi), which offers the abitlity to shoot approx. 220 shots with the use of the flash, but the ability to use high-end AA rechargeables would still be nice.

-They both offer the ability to connect to the computer utilizing a USB High Speed Connection.

-The G9 offers a 3" LCD w/ 230,000 pixels with wide biewing angle, and the 650 only offers a 2.5" LCD w/ 173,000 pixels with wide viewing angle. That's a HUGE selling point for me, because I want a large LCD with high resolution, as it makes all the difference in the world underwater.

- They are both roughly equivalent in size, but the G9 weighs approximately 7/10's of an ounce more.

-At B&H Photo, the G9 costs $479.95 as compared to the 650, which costs $299.95.

-They both offer reasonably inexpensive Canon Underwater Housings, but neither housing accepts after-market external mount bases because of the oval lens base, which makes it difficult or impossible to connect an optical cable for external strobles. Furthermore, even with an Ikelite housing, the 650 will not offer ttl, because of the lack of a hot shoe, which the G9 does offer. Also, according to the Ikelite website, the 650 does not offer an adaptor to connect Inon and/or Epoque lenses, unlike the G9.

In my opinion, they both appear to be very good cameras, but if money is not the primary determining factor, I like the G9, because of the increased options connection ttl capable strobes and lenses to the Ikelite Housing, and because of the larger and higher resolution LCD. Furthermomre, the higher resolution video recording resolution and the higher aperature range of the G9 also helps me lean in its favor. However, the ability of the 650 to accept AA Batteries is a very nice feature that I wish the G9 had.

Obviously, I went with the G9 instead of the 650, so take my opinion with a grain of salt - But I did try to lay out a reasonably objective side-by-side comparison of both cameras.

From an UW perspective, doesn't it really come down to
1. Raw
2. Larger LCD
3. TTL as an option
Yep.. I too would have preferred AA batteries.

SFLDiver,

EXCELLENT comparison. I appreciate the effort.

I did a cursory comparison using Canon USA's vehicle on their site. However, it doesn't drill down as efficiently and applicably as you have.

I noticed the LCD difference, which is huge for me as well. RAW is also a factor (for me). Unfortunately, Consumers doesn't test with an eye for UW photography, however, I was surprised at the edge they gave the A series, which is why I asked...

Cost was not in the top three for pre-requisites (in fact, I looked at the XSi as well, however, it's Live View isn't truly Live View).

Again, thanks for the comparison.

A650 with CHDK hack also allows aperture up to f16 and shutter speeds up to 1/100,000 of a second. With the CHDK hack used, the only real difference is the G9 has a hot shoe and the A650 has a tilt LCD and uses AA batteries.

A650 with CHDK hack also allows aperture up to f16 and shutter speeds up to 1/100,000 of a second. With the CHDK hack used, the only real difference is the G9 has a hot shoe and the A650 has a tilt LCD and uses AA batteries.

You seem to be forgetting about the 3" 230,000 pixel LCD the G9 offers, as compared to the 2.5" 173,000 pixel LCD the 650 offers. I know it may seem like a minor thing, but I've been diving with a 3" high resolution screen on my Sony DSC-N1 for the last year, and it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD when shooting pictures underwater!

Well, you seem to be dismissing the tilting LCD of the A650 which I think makes all the difference in the world.

Well, you seem to be dismissing the tilting LCD of the A650 which I think makes all the difference in the world.

I can see how the tilting LCD might be a nice feature topside, but inside a housing, how does that work, because it doesn't appear as though either the Canon or the Ikelite housing have any room behind the LCD, so that it could be tilted?

Back
Top Bottom