A6400 - Fiber Cables Strobe Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDubs09

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a way to use TTL with built in camera flash + fiber cables or do you have to use manual on the strobe itself? Does the built in flash adjust in strength depending on light (i.e. if I set my S&S YS-D2js to TTL will they work the way I want them to or not?)?

They should work that way. I have an A6000 and Inon strobes. I set my cameras flash to Fill Flash and the strobes to S-TTL and that works for me. So if you set the camera's flash to Fill Flash and your strobes to TTL, it should give you pretty much the results you are looking for. You may need to play around a little with the flash compensation, but not much if at all.

Hoag is correct, I shoot an a6400 with inon z330's via s-ttl and it works like a charm.

I have zero knowledge of the A series cameras, but the function of the s-TTL on the inons is due to the strobe, not the camera. It's one of the best things about the inons. If it works that way on S&S strobe is a different question.

When using a fiber optic cable, the built in flash is just triggering the strobe, power is irrelevant. Set it on manual to the lowest setting for battery life, faster recharge and less heat buildup in the housing.

You can test if TTL works on land by setting the strobe and camera up to how you think it should work in TTL, take a shot of the strobe face - it should put out the least power possible. Then take another shot with the dome port on and the strobe should fire at max power. If that works, TTL is working. How WELL it works requires some in water testing, but at least you'll know if it even is an option.

The Sony camera, A-6XXX APS-C series and the new full frame version as well, always fire a pre-flash. Even if the camera is set to Manual mode. There is some good and some bad there. Using Inon S2000, D2000, Z240, D200 and Z330 strobes you can accomplish sTTL with the camera in Manual mode. You can set aperture and shutter (up to 1/160) and with the strobes in sTTL and using the flash exposure compensation of the A-6XXX under the Function button to control exposure and fine tune with the knob on the strobe +/-. Or you can set the camera flash exposure compensation to 0 and just use the sTTL control on the Inon strobe. I find scenario one more flexible for my uses. A typical starting settings for me with Inon D2000 strobes is f5.6, shutter at 1/125 and camera flash compensation at 0. Since the strobes output occurs in a tiny slice of time, like 1/2000 second, the shutter speed has little effect (well, you know, some yeah, especially ambient and background) but the f stop has a large impact on the exposure. By the way, in the sTTL strobe setting the magnet switch has no effect as the pre-flash is default for the Inon strobe and obviously needed for the sTTL to function.

You can quickly set to strobe manual exposure, magnet out on the S2000, D2000, D200, selector set for pre-flash on the Z240 and Z330. Set camera in manual exposure, set, under the Function button, flash power to -3 stops (to conserve battery) and as starting point, again1/125 shutter, f5.6 or f8, and match set the strobe to the same f stop on the dial. Adjust camera aperture (f stop) and f stop settings on the strobe to get your exposure where you want it.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom