A640 with Canon Housing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm trying to decide between the G7 and A640 for an upcoming trip to Maui. I am leaning towards the A640 because it may be easier for my wife to use when I'm not diving. Does anyone have any experience with either camera?

Thanks

Bill

Both are supposed to be very good cameras. But DON'T buy the Canon housings. If you do, you won't be able to add accessory lenses. The lens ports are shaped somewhat like a rectangle.

If you need something now, buy the A640 and get an Ikelite housing. Then you can use 67mm add-on lenses.

I have both an A620 and an A640. I like the A620, but I think the A640 is far better. My wife is no photo expert by any means and she does fairly well with the A620.

The only comparison I can give you betweeen the G7 and the A640 is that the A640 fits better in my hand. It has a better grip than the G7. I do not own a G7 so I have not taken any pictures with one.

DesertEagle is correct in that the Canon housing will not support any auxiliary lenses.

I have the Canon case for the A620 and just got an Ikelite case for the A640. I have been underwater numerous times with the Canon case, but since I just got the Ikelite case, I have not gotten it wet yet. The Ikelite case is a more substantial case for sure, but I took the Canon case down over 100 feet with no problems.

Sorry to ramble. If I can help with any other questions, please PM me.

I thought Inon was working on making a mounting base for the oval-shaped/rectangular lens ports for canon cases (I'm almost positive I read it someplace). I sent them an email the other day asking them to hurry up since I'm getting ready to order a A710 & housing soon and would prefer the caonon housing since it's cheaper and smaller than the ike. They haven't responded yet though. Maybe if more people were to send Inon emails requesting them, they might get on it quicker.

I'll vote for the A640. The Canon housing is much smaller than the Ikelite but you can't use add-on lenses. At my current photo-taking ability, add-on lenses aren't really an issue. I have a long ways to go before I'm taking good enough shots to warrant the Ikelite housing and other lenses. By the time I want add-on lenses, I'll want a better camera. FWIW.

I vote for the ike housing.. its not that big (got mine today), its 6" front to back (including lens port & buttons) 7" wide (including latches & buttons) and 5" tall (including buttons).

big advantage for me, is the m67 lens attachemnt on front, can add macro or w/a lens from inon.. the advantage of the m67 over the AD (bayonet)- I think its more secure, and you can stack the macro lens for higher magnifications, dont think you can do this with the AD lens.

I'll have photos in about 10 days or so from it, leaving for akumal on friday :)

If you do want to add lenses in future, check out the A520 or 540 instead. Or maybe the A710. I believe they all accept them with the Canon housing. You will need to double check as I could be remembering wrong!!

I adore the Canon cases - been using them for years with no troubles.

Jamdivers uses one for the A620 and so far he hasn't even needed the lenses to produce really nice images :) It will all depend on what your needs and goals are.

Funland111:
I'm trying to decide between the G7 and A640 for an upcoming trip to Maui. I am leaning towards the A640 because it may be easier for my wife to use when I'm not diving. Does anyone have any experience with either camera?

Thanks

Bill
Big fan of the Canon A series!
Personally, i'd go for the A640 over the G7.....

To be frank I think the G7 is overpriced..

I have quite a bit of experience with the A610 which is the previous incarnation of the A630/A640, have found it to be full featured, easy to use, produces great images, reliable and definitely gives you bang for the buck!

I think it's a wonderful system for a budding underwater photographer or someone who is just getting into photography as the camera can grow with you over time.

Biggest thing with underwater photography though is that lighting is critical...
Having a strobe will make a bigger difference to your photos than having a particular camera over another.

But i'm getting ahead of myself, you'll discover that with time :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom