A Young Man's Fancy Turns To...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
...Laying Eggs, apparently! Monday, 8-11-08, we found no less than four kinds of nudibranchs laying eggs. At the breakwater we found the giant dendronotid, Dendronotus iris:

dendro_eggs.jpg

Add to that the Noble Sea Lemon, Peltodoris nobilis (look closely under the edge of the upper one):

lemoneggs.jpg

as well as the Leopard Dorid, Diaulula sandiegensis:

leopardeggs.jpg

While at the Metridium field, we found this lovely Hilton's aeolid, Phidiana hiltoni, just beginning an egg ribbon of its own:

hiltons_eggs.jpg

If this is any indication, there should be a nice crop of new nudibranchs soon enough!

Too much sex for an old geezer like me... even though my ancient brain turns to thoughts of the same thing as you youngsters! Nice pix, but I prefer catching nudis "in the act" so to speak. Just teasing ya.

Lovely shots. What type of camera setup are you using?

Thx

Mark

Those 4 were taken with my old Pentax Optio S5i using the built-in flash. Nothing fancy. The case is Pentax's O-WP2. The camera is only a 5 megapixel, but I've gotten used to it enough to get a fair bit out of it. Sometimes one of us will provide a little extra illumination with our dive lights, but I believe that was only done for the giant dendro shot in this group.

Well, yes and no. I keep it in macro mode all the time, but in that mode I can't get any closer than 8 inches. It does have a "super macro" mode that can get down to about 1-2 inches, but in that mode the flash doesn't function. However, I have the image resolution set as high as it can go, 2560x1920, which compensates for a lot and gives me a lot of room to crop things in Photoshop. My wife's Casio Exilim Z1050 and my daughter's (currently broken) Canon A630 can both focus as close as about half an inch in macro mode, but I enjoy seeing what I can get this little fellow to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom