A value of diving with novices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must say, that as a single & novice diver I am most greatful to those of more experience who have been kind & gracious enough to take me under their wing. I am currently at the learning point of trying to find the right buoyancy techniques for me. I am learning more & more with each dive & hope that eventually I can return the favor to the generations of divers yet to come. To those of you that try to help us "newbies" to learn the ropes, even with as stressfull & hair raising it can be at times, all I can say is a heart felt THANK YOU!

Very good post. I made a similar experience once, but this relates to equipment, not buddy:

After doing the rescue class I thought I was a pretty comfortable diver. Boyancy was spot on and air consumption at a record low. I was completely in control.
Then on one quite deep dive my mask was leaking like crazy. It kept flooding. My boyancy went everywhere, my air consumption went and I had an annoying dive. Turned out there was a relatively big puncture in the silicone of the mask that must have sealed in the early part of the dive, but then let go. No idea how it got there.

I assess myself at how I dive when things do not go according to plan, be it with a less controlled buddy, equipment, environment. This type of diving skill (being still a good diver when things are not optimal) is also the first to go rusty when taking a break from diving (i.e. during a winter period). Although you might dive like always on the first dive of the season, your reaction to problems could be much worse than after a few weeks of diving.

I would like to think that now I would be in control in any circumstance, but I am sure that depends on the circumstance.

Do most divers know what "type" of diver they are when things do not go right? I am sure the variability even among highly experienced divers would be surprisingly large. Some probably remain very calm indeed, but some may end up looking novice?

Good post, Alex . . . I hadn't thought of this concept as a global yardstick of how a diver copes when things aren't as they should be, but it's probably a very valid analysis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom