A value of diving with novices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've noticed as I've started to do dives without an instructor/DM and with other not complete newbie but still needing work buddies, that my bouyancy is definately more over the place. Part of this is I'll start watching them if they have problems but then I'll fail to notice I'm drifting until I am, it's intersting that you can learn something from any buddy if you want to.

The other thing is I believe in the "see it, do it, teach it" philosophy... so diving with novice divers provides a chance to make sure you yourself understand exactly why you are doing what you are doing... they ask a lot of questions... like "why black?"... and such... :)

So being able to explain yourself well to them helps reinforce it for yourself.

JeffG:
I guess I am just evil.
Of course you are, Jeff ... but some of us like you that way ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great story Lynne. The same thing happens at both ends of the experience spectrum. I was down at Scripps for a meeting and wanted to dive the Canyon so Jim Stewart hooked me up with Burt Kobiyoshi over on the main campus who in turn arranged for me to make a dive with one his most experienced instructors.

We had a moderate swim out to the buoy, and it was clear that she was "checking me out" by pushing the swim a bit harder than it needed to be. When we got to the buoy we immediately submerged and made our descent to the planned 60 ft.

We’re moving out along the canyon wall looking for depth (plan was for a 100 ft. dive) and I’m just uncomfortable as hell. I can’t figure it out, but something just doesn’t seem right and I’m continuously backpedaling, swimming with my hands, etc. I can’t seem to get comfortable with my position in the water, or my buoyancy, or anything.

Finally I realize what the problem is … each of us in unconsciously “fighting” the other to take the outside, that is to say, to keep the other between our self and the canyon wall. So I gave up the battle and let her have the outside track and we both settled down.

We had a laugh about it later, she had experienced the same discomfort that I had and then was confused when it “just disappeared.” So we leaned something about diving with other “senior” types that we’d not realized before. In my case it was because even when I’d been diving with equally or more experienced individuals previously, it had almost always been on my turf rather than theirs.

My husband and I were recently certified. As new divers our experience has been very positive with the more experienced and patient divers. It is very encouraging that new divers aren't really looked down upon.

Luckily we had a very good instructor and her method of instruction was thorough. Even after our certification we have found a good idea for 'WE THE NEWBIES" is to go back and refresh academic information.

I like diving with newer divers, specially at "bad divesites" because then I can spend time "looking after them" and not be distracted by the scenery. It makes those kinds of dives worthwile to me because of the enthusiasm of the newbie and the "challenge" they present as far as diveplanning, communication etc...I do notice that I use up more air and that I am less comfortable but that´s just part of the deal...

I often assist with OW courses and find that this has improved my buddy awarness, along with my navigation and it's a nice time to practice my kicks as well. I do find that my SAC rate goes to pot though.

Phil

I've noticed that sometimes newer divers are very pleasant to dive with, particularly those who happen to have decent buoyancy skills. They tend to be very good buddies in that they stay close (even though it's because they are afraid not too at first).

If everyone dives within in their skill level anyone can be a pleasure to dive with regardless of experience. I had one dive buddy for about 1 year that I started diving with right after her OW class. She was one 1 of the best buddies I've had.

I like to dive with new divers, i truly think this is my time to pay back for all those divers who were whiling to help me in my first dives.

I like to share what i learned and the response of the new divers is usually very nice.

Funny...I have just under 200 dives and I still consider myself to be the novice...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom