A Trump Election and Peso Exchange Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You missed the first part in the quoting thing...

I have never said it was a Mexico thing. It is an everywhere thing. People do guess Mexico, but mainly because it is something different in their routine. Cloning is particularly busy right now before the chip reader becomes standard in the US everywhere. Credit/ATM fraud is really ramping up.

Dave Dillehay claims to have been skimmed at a machine in Mega. I of course think it is hard to tell where or how, but that was his belief.

I don't use an ATM card ANYWHERE if a I can help it. Besides I need the Southwest points...

Look around on this site and you can find his BT experiments in Mexico. A Dramatic Rise in ATM Skimming Attacks — Krebs on Security

I have never said it was a Mexico thing. It is an everywhere thing.

Look around on this site and you can find his BT experiments in Mexico. A Dramatic Rise in ATM Skimming Attacks — Krebs on Security

OK, if you believe that it's an everywhere thing, I can respectfully accept that,

I think Krebs waxes poetic on occasion, which is fine as it makes for a much better read, but not necessarily more useful/accurate.

He certainly does. And it is interesting, especially the skimming at the resorts.

But it is an everywhere thing. We had one at the local small town bank atm recently. EVERYWHERE.

They could stick one on the machine at Santander and remove it in the early am and it would get people. It is sadly pretty easy.

He certainly does. And it is interesting, especially the skimming at the resorts.

But it is an everywhere thing. We had one at the local small town bank atm recently. EVERYWHERE.

They could stick one on the machine at Santander and remove it in the early am and it would get people. It is sadly pretty easy.

Dear Chief,

As you should know I don't make a habit of "claiming" things. Two machines at Mega took my info for withdrawing cash then posted "Unable to dispense cash at this time". I blindly assumed that they were just out of cash. This event WAS at Mega and it was in the morning--and had never had one of your Margaritas laced with date rape drug. Of course there were immediate charges to my card which I did not see on the statement until I returned to the US and a big problem.

Like others I don't use ATMs anymore but if I had to, I'd pick one in a bank…and Mega is no bank.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

That is silly. You have to file a complaint and checking account will be empty and then get the bank to give it back after your checks bounce. And you will need to change any autopays using that card, etc etc.
I said, meaning a separate bank account...
I'd want to set up an auxiliary account.

I have a back up ATM card NOT connected to my main checking account. Using my checking account VISA atm card would be a last resort. ATM cards are hacked ALL the time. Sure you are protected, but it is a PIA.
Not at safe ATMs.

And do you have a separate checking account set up for Paypal, so they don't steal your money too? Since Paypal owns Xoom, I guess you should not trust them either.
I don't give Paypal access to my bank accounts either, only my Visa credit card.

And actually I think fraudulent a EFT transaction is completely protected by Fed Law, in fact I think the liability is 0, versus a small amount for debit cards. :eyebrow:
Xoom may well be safe enough. ATM withdrawals still seem slightly safer, as long as I remember to tell my bank in advance that I will be using it in Mexico.

Not at safe ATMs.

There are no such thing. Only safer ones. No safe ones.

I don't give Paypal access to my bank accounts either, only my Visa credit card.

That can make it expensive for donations and such. We sent some money down to help buy a Coz kid a chair. Would have cost me like 5 bucks just to send the money if I didn't have my bank account hooked up.

Xoom may well be safe enough. ATM withdrawals still seem slightly safer, as long as I remember to tell my bank in advance that I will be using it in Mexico.

I still say no. Xoom has my password protected safe info. I don't not give out any access info to anyone. Every time you stick that card in something, you give out that card access info.

In the end I there is very little liability for fraud in either.

Last edited:
Dear Chief,

As you should know I don't make a habit of "claiming" things. Two machines at Mega took my info for withdrawing cash then posted "Unable to dispense cash at this time". I blindly assumed that they were just out of cash. This event WAS at Mega and it was in the morning--and had never had one of your Margaritas laced with date rape drug. Of course there were immediate charges to my card which I did not see on the statement until I returned to the US and a big problem.

Like others I don't use ATMs anymore but if I had to, I'd pick one in a bank…and Mega is no bank.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Oh jeez, of course you are lurking on this... I didn't mean to impugn you, I just wanted to mention your mega story without getting bogged down in the 'how did he know that is where?' from those that leap to the defense of MX ATMs.... Of course, Dave, you should have a designated wallet carrier. The way you can't hold your tequila, you are liable to get rolled one of these days....

Didn't you get nailed by the Santander at the airport too? Or was that someone else?

But thanks for agreeing ATMs carry risk. I am not saying people like DD shouldn't use them or even not use them with their MAIN bank account. (I imagine of course the vast amount of DD's wealth is in gold buried so many steps west of the cottonwood tree in his back yard, but I digress.) It isn't that big a deal to get all your money stolen out of your US checking account because you will likely be made whole again. The bank will just raise another fee to cover your loss to them. No worries. Just getting the new card, listing all the fraud, etc etc. But for the casual visitor, it might be a perfectly acceptable option. On the other hand, so is a cambio.

But to claim Xoom, a company that PayPal bought for 1.09 BILLION dollars is some sort of risky proposition is silly. They are accredited by the BBB, certified by TrustE, and has there website certified by Verisign. If you want to say they are unsafe, then your bank having your bank info is probably just as unsafe.

Now if you have a Schwabb account (to save you know who saying it) you might get a rate close to Xoom and not have to pay the ATM and foreign transaction fees. It might be equal to Xoom in that. Of course it is a heck of a lot easier to park at Electra than Santander.... :wink:

But to claim Xoom, a company that PayPal bought for 1.09 BILLION dollars is some sort of risky proposition is silly.

Couldn't agree more. Same goes for another PayPal subsidiary; Venmo.

It's been my experience that PayPal has it together, as in many internal and external checks and balances.

FWIW, the Thursday after the election, I got 19.05/dollar at the cambio in the square (across from the church).

Back
Top Bottom