A somewhat sad conversation last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both have some questionable entries and are subject to errors in interpretation.
As do all the major encyclopedia, and infact research has shown that wikipedia is as accurate as them..

As do all the major encyclopedia, and in fact research has shown that wikipedia is as accurate as them..

Way too often when I have quoted Wiki, someone jumps in with a Scopes rebuttal of some small part of it. I usually now just add a disclaimer on some more fun posts that I really do not care if a story is totally, completely true. If it a good story, it is a good story.

Real research would be a completely different thing.

I cant recall who did it, but it was a major organization a few years ago that compared wikipedia to other encyclopedia.
The "wikipedia is totally wrong" thing people use to disclaim wikipedia stems from the early days when they didnt have anybody other accuracy check than people logging in and correcting articles, but they actually have a team to do that job now.

Gray, glad to see you here! I hope I'm not one of those people who talks about it all the time . . . I've sure enjoyed diving with YOU in the past!

Haha..anyone that hooks me up with a scooter is definitely not one of the problem ones :)

Haha..anyone that hooks me up with a scooter is definitely not one of the problem ones :)

That sounds like it falls under the category:

"I am not cheap, but I CAN be bought!" ?

I mentioned before that I had a bad experience with an a%$hole GUE instructor.

Funny, someone sent me a private e-mail and idenitfied the instructor in question by name!

Seems I'm not the only one who has that opinion of that instructor.

Funny, someone sent me a private e-mail and idenitfied the instructor in question by name!

I've never met one that I would characterize quite that way ... although I have met some that I think it would probably be a mistake for me to try taking a class from ... as with all other relationships in life, there has to be come compatibility.

Nobody can get along with everybody ... there's just too many variables that can get in the way. Although the majority of my students speak highly of me, there have been a couple who would've been better off choosing a different instructor ... and who probably think of me as you do that GUE instructor.

It happens to the best of us ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't you think that all agencies have somehow let a small number of people though their instructor training process that don't have the personality to effectively teach?

You did mention that this individual is no longer teaching Fundamentals.

GUE has a review system where student comments are taken very seriously, and an instructor can loose their instructor certification. Maybe that's what happened here. Still, its a shame that you had that experience. That guy is not representative of the GUE instructors that I have met.

Don't you think that all agencies have somehow let a small number of people though their instructor training process that don't have the personality to effectively teach?

You did mention that this individual is no longer teaching Fundamentals.

GUE has a review system where student comments are taken very seriously, and an instructor can loose their instructor certification. Maybe that's what happened here. Still, its a shame that you had that experience. That guy is not representative of the GUE instructors that I have met.

The instructor being mentioned volunteraily let his GUE teaching certification lapse and is no longer teaching any GUE classes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom