Suggestion A smartphone/Tablet APP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Diver-6873

Diver-6873

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Please … consider either contracting with developers to create an app or incorporate code to use something like TapTalk which is a furum aggregator. I understand this changes the business model but the web GUI for forums is very old, can be difficult to navigate for some and may keep some from regularly participating.

Just my two cents but one of the reasons apps are so heavily encouraged is data-mining and the economic value of user data so I actually really appreciate Scubaboard having a straightforward web interface on my cellphone as it is (using a current android OS).
Since you mentioned Tapatalk as a potential model, attached is a list of all the trackers incorporated in Tapatalk which for me personally is reason enough not to use Tapatalk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122-104511.png
    Screenshot_20231122-104511.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 64
Please, please, keep the current layout. Tapatalk is stealing and misusing all your private data in order to show you more and more ad’s “specifically selected for you’.
Why change a complete good and convenient forum. Given the number of followers on this forum I do not think we are not serving our members with this setup.

Folks .. I am not saying to change or remove the design of the website. Many users subscribe to many forums and using a central tool/app such as TapTalk make watching, participatin, posting much easier. If it’s not for you - clearly stick with the web GUI.

Please … consider either contracting with developers to create an app or incorporate code to use something like TapTalk which is a furum aggregator.

With some relatively minor exceptions for customization ScubaBoard's Web and phone interface is governed by xenForo, the software the board runs on. We run a number of 3rd party add-ons but they are often problematic when they aren't upgraded to xenForo's latest updates. Custom programming would be a substantial ongoing expense, not just one time.

It used to be available on TapTalk many years ago. There were some changes made (I don't remember what), but it eliminated TapTalk, so it's not on there for a good reason.

I suspect the issue is advertising revenue. Supporting Tapatalk or other forum integrators probably hits into the web advertising which is pretty extensive on the page. It may be they are part of the occasional slowdowns, issues, and general frustration many online forums are faced with.

Please … consider either contracting with developers to create an app or incorporate code to use something like TapTalk which is a furum aggregator. I understand this changes the business model but the web GUI for forums is very old, can be difficult to navigate for some and may keep some from regularly participating.

There’s an option to install an app under the menu stack. Scroll to the bottom to find this:

1712595396924.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom