A Serious Incident at Deception Pass...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hyper-limits:
It takes a lot of guts to call or cancel a dive when a lots of people are counting on you.
Way to go Uncle Pug.

Can those other people replace me in life? Unless I end up somehow in combat everything else is voluntary. I don't care if 1,000 are depending on me, if the hairs on my neck say NO, then no it is. No matter what the activity is.

Some think being "macho" is risking you butt, that is just being foolish. Aborting the activity shows intelligence and common sense. maybe we should ask some private pilots if they cancel flights when they get that "Voice"?

>> Some think being "macho" is risking you butt, that is just being foolish.

Yes, and 'The Voice' that you guys are talking about is not entirely superstition. Our subconscious, which often tries to stand in our way, helps us sometimes, too. Maybe you could smell the fear on a buddy that you didn't consciously notice, or maybe you saw something horrendous and then forgot about it - any number of things that we don't necessarilly notice can help influence decisions like that.

And they all count.

Uncle Pug:
You know the rule that if you don't feel good about the dive then you shouldn't do it. Many times we hear from folks relating a diving incident where the tell tale markers and warnings were there ahead of time but were ignored
Not to revive an old thread, but I got that feeling last week, concerning a dive scheduled for Sat. I was planning on going diving at a quarry south of Birmingham, AL, but all the people I was trying to make arrangements with backed out on me. I decided I was still going to go, and meet up with someone there in need of a buddy. As I was doing my initial check of my gear this past Thursday night, I got a sinking feeling, telling me not to go diving. I figured it would pass, but after remaining with me for 30 minutes, I told my wife (non-diver) that I was NOT going to go diving on Sat. That sinking feeling stayed with me until Sat. evening. Like UP, I can't comment on what might have happened, but better to speculate, than go and find out. I certainly believe there is someone out there watching over me!

Try these dates:
Thursday 2/23 - 9:30AM
Thursday 3/9 - 11:06AM
Thursday 3/23 - 7:40AM
Friday 3/24 - 9:37AM
Thursday 4/6 - 10AM
Friday 4/21 - 9AM
Friday 5/5 - 10:20AM

Last year was so nice with good slacks on Saturdays and Sundays we were able to get the boats out there and dive it a bunch. This year it might be a push to get people to go. I am thinking of 3/9, 3/24, 4/6.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom