A Serious Incident at Deception Pass...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ignored the hints and went ahead with a dive. I'm still here to post this, but for a few seconds I believed I was going to die in 3m of water. I will call a dive without fear from now, it just not worth it!

Nearly incident

I've had dives that I didn't feel like I should do without having a reason and did them. Nothing ever happened and a few I even enjoyed, a few others I was to psyced out to enjoy. The problem is that the ones where I was psyced out and not having a good time I wasn't at my best either and sometimes a long way from my best. Nothing ever happened but since I wasn't at my best, I might not have done my best and the best might not have happened. Wow did that make any sense?

Anyway, I'm a little more laid back now and if I don't feel like diving or doing a specific dive, I know that I'll have more fun doing some other dive or something else all together and won't be risking my neck or any one elses.

Diving is supposed to be fun...or so I keep telling myself.

SeanQ:
Did you find out if the current conditions actually turned out to be what you expected?
It was as predicted and reported by those who did it that day: the best it gets.

I've ignored it. Dumb.
Last week I dived with Tony in 38F water and forgot my polys, but made the dive anyway (the "Voice" was saying to call it). 20 mins in, my hands were so cold they starting going numb. 30 mins came the pain, then the big, feeling-less dead hands. I didn't want to call the dive and ruin Tony's dive. At the end of the 45min dive, back at the truck, my right hand hurt so bad that as it was defrosting I couldn't talk.
Tony was shivering and said he wanted to call the dive but didn't want to ruin it for me.
I didn't really have much fun, don't remember much of it except just waiting to get through it.
Dumb.
MikeFerrara:
Diving is supposed to be fun...or so I keep telling myself.

I ignored the warnings in Bali and almost paid the price. It was to be the last dive of my trip and I had already seen everything I came for (mola mola, grey reef sharks and mantas) but when we arrived at the site it was covered in Portuguese Man-of-War. Naturally, we all called the dive but the guide assured us that if we relocated to the north side of the island then the sites there would be clear of the PMOW swarm.

So there's my inner voice saying, "Look, you've had some great dives already. These critters are really dangerous so why not cut your losses and sit this one out on the boat?", then I think "Well, what the hey. It's only one dive and the guide thinks it will be okay".

Half an hour later we splashed into beautiful warm crystal clear water for one of the best drift dives I have ever had, but when the time came to begin the ascent from 15m I noticed the little puffy bags of the PMOW above me. There was another swarm! Clear? My big fat hairy butt was it clear, there were hundreds of them.

I knew that the tendrils could extend some considerable distance so I stayed at 15-10m for as long as possible, luckily the visibility was so good that I could see the boat from about 50-75m out and I was able to time my ascent to arrive pretty much bang on the ladder, albeit skipping the safety stop (luckily this was a no deco dive). Even so, the back of my wetsuit and BC were covered in electric blue stinging tentacles which had to be picked off one by one by the surface support staff. Very carefully. Even so, I chose to remain fully suited up for the return boat ride and removed my gear under a hot shower to neutralise any live nematocysts that might have been left on my gear.

Luckily, nobody got hurt and I learnt a very valuable lesson - if I don't feel comfortable about any aspect of any dive, no matter how benign the water the looks, then I'll stay on the boat. I can always come back and dive another day, right?

Uncle Pug:
It was as predicted and reported by those who did it that day: the best it gets.
I am one of those divers that was going to dive the Pass with UP on the 19th. My buddy and I ended up diving at Day Island Wall instead, and the conditions there were flat-out perfect.

As we were breaking down after the dive, I turned to my buddy and said "I'm glad we didn't do Deception Pass today, as I just wasn't on my game". It wasn't like I had a bad dive, per se... it was just that I didn't feel up to a challenge that day, and therefore really glad I wasn't at Deception Pass with the possibility of getting challenged. I even bowed out of a second dive on the 19th, and just went home.

The bottom line, for me? I think the little voice UP was hearing was speaking for more than one person. While I had an uneventful dive at Day Island Wall, I didn't have a fun dive. That tells me that missing the Pass dive was a good thing.

Jimmie

You have this Satuday and Sunday to try again.

It was good on the 19th. Slack is happening 25 minutes after predicted slack.

Taipeidiver:
I ignored the warnings in Bali and almost paid the price...
Rick Inman:
I've ignored it. Dumb.
Last week I dived with Tony in 38F water ...
MikeFerrara:
I've had dives that I didn't feel like I should do without having a reason and did them...
nshon:
I ignored the hints and went ahead with a dive...

"Step into Father Pug's Confessional and have a seat. Good. Now confess to me your diving sins and all will be forgiven..."

Uncle Pug:
Conditions were perfect and I'd already faced the worse DP has to offer with a big grin on my face.

You may have faced the worst Deception Pass has thrown at you, but you haven't faced the worst a boat prop has thrown at you, or (not sure of what is in Deception Pass) an entanglement. There are many other variables out there than what the currents at Deception Pass can throw at you. It sounds to me like you've got a guardian angel watching over you.

As for me, I've got a guardian angel story, but it isn't diving related. Glad you're still with us.

We'll never know what "the something that was going to happen" really was.

Thankfully.

And that is my point.

It's only natural that the events that get reported in this forum are events that actually happened. This non-event seemed interesting to me in that every other indicator pointed to this being an uneventful dive... and even the reports of those who did the dive that day bore this out. Still, for me, it was a dive that I'm not sorry I missed.... if for no other reason than a lesson on listening to the Voice. Next time I will discipline myself to listen rather than having the Voice throw road blocks in my way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom