A Serious Incident at Deception Pass...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
... didn't happen.

You know the rule that if you don't feel good about the dive then you shouldn't do it. Many times we hear from folks relating a diving incident where the tell tale markers and warnings were there ahead of time but were ignored.

Here is a simple story of an incident that didn't happen. Because it didn't happen I can't give you any of the gory details and there is nothing to pick apart. The is no blame to be laid and there will be no law suits. No rescue, no heroics, no funeral.

It was going to be a perfect day for diving Deception Pass... the best current window I've ever seen with a max flood of only 1.8 kts and we would be going in at .9 knots. Many times I wait for it to drop to 1.8 kts before going in and when it changes we are coming back out at over 2 kts!

Fact is, we have done the surface ride at maximum current flow. The whirlpools don't get serious until it gets over 7 knots and faster makes for an even better ride. We've been below the event horizon more than once. :D

The year before we had a bumpy ride getting thrown to the surface in a matter of seconds from 54'. And my birthday dive March 23, 2003 was a close call. Shane and I were doing a deco dive on the very bottom of the pass when I holed my drysuit.

But those were the only dives there where we've ever had a problem. We have been all over DP and usually have 60 minute dives.

So Saturday morning March 19, 2005 looked to be a piece of cake... one I had been looking forward to for a year.

A nagging feeling began growing in the back of my mind... it said I shouldn't do the dive. I couldn't see any reason not to... and I had folks expecting me to do it with them. I didn't want to let them down... but still that nagging feeling was there.

A week before the dive several things crowded into my life that forced me to back out of diving Deception Pass. Because I didn't go, several others on this board didn't go either. At first I felt bad about letting them down... now after thinking about it I realize that I did them a favor.

We will never know what would have happened... but something was going to go wrong. Today my wife said to me, "I had a bad feeling about that dive and figured that I was going to get a call. I knew that something bad was going to happen."

So... a serious incident at Decption Pass didn't happen.

Rob... I can't take credit for listening.

I was going to do the dive anyway because the inner voice didn't make sense. Conditions were perfect and I'd already faced the worse DP has to offer with a big grin on my face.

I was forced by circumstance into backing out of the dive. But I realize that the voice was right and I'm glad that I didn't have to learn that the hard way... again.

"The superior diver uses his superior judgement so he doesn't have to rely on his superior skills."

Good call, UP. Among pilots there is a syndrome called "get-home-itis" that leads to accidents. I guess the diver equivalent is "get-under-itis" (get-down-itis sounds like disco fever, so I don't want to use that!).

It takes a lot of guts to call or cancel a dive when a lots of people are counting on you.
Way to go Uncle Pug.

Again... I can't take credit for having guts or wisdom.

I would have foolishly ignored *the Voice* if other events hadn't prevented me from making the dive.

And then this thread would have been about an incident that did occur instead of being about one the didn't occur.

good post pug and good call

here is a similar thread I posted a little while back where the unfolding chain of events made me realise that the

"anyone can call the dive at any time for any reason" rule

applies to before you even get to the dive site. If more people listened to the little voice, less people would get hurt.

similar incident

We're glad your still with us Uncle Pug.

Did you find out if the current conditions actually turned out to be what you expected?

Uncle Pug:
And then this thread would have been about an incident that did occur instead of being about one the didn't occur.

Well not necessarily. However, it's also possible to plan a dive so you return to the surface with 0 PSI, which wouldn't necessarily result in anything bad... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom