A Scuba Deals Website?? Would you be interested?

Would you shop from a daily SCUBA diving equipment bargain site?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenkinskc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, as a bargain hunter by nature I frequent daily deal sites that offer one product each day at an outrageously low price. These sites include woot, whatsyourdeal, and deal of the day just to name a few.

Would anyone be interested in a site that offers a daily scuba related product at huge discounts? I need to know how many people would check it out daily, weekly, not at all etc. I have been working with a couple manufacturers and distributors that have showed interest in selling me wholesale lots of goods that range from SCUBA accessories (lights, weights, shakers, flags etc) to Dive Computers, BCD's, and regs.

Anyone that knows of some of the sites I mentioned know that you can save huge money (sometimes upwards of 70%) on items. These are usually remaining stock, remanufactured, excess inventory that people are trying to liquidate. Once that days items were gone, thats it until the next day. Also, once a month or so i would hold an all day auction where multiple items that were left from previous days sales would be made available to clear the inventory. Shipping would be a flat fee of under $8.00 unless the size of the item dictated otherwise.

I have a site reserved and am working on some capital to get it going if there is interest. I think it can benefit the dive community and make me a little money as well. I have no intention of making a bunch of money, just a little extra to cover some dive vacations for yours truly.

I would appreciate members input on this very much. I hope to hear from you soon!

Happy Diving!!

Last edited:
OK, as a bargain hunter by nature I frequent daily deal sites that offer one product each day at an outrageously low price. These sites include woot, whatsyourdeal, and deal of the day just to name a few.

Would anyone be interested in a site that offers a daily scuba related product at huge discounts? I need to know how many people would check it out daily, weekly, not at all etc. I have been working with a couple manufacturers and distributors that have showed interest in selling me wholesale lots of goods that range from SCUBA accessories (lights, weights, shakers, flags etc) to Dive Computers, BCD's, and regs.

Anyone that knows of some of the sites I mentioned know that you can save huge money (sometimes upward of 70%) on items. These are usually remaining stock, re-manufactured, excess inventory that people are trying to liquidate. Once that days items were gone, thats it until the next day. Also, once a month or so i would hold an all day auction where multiple items that were left from previous days sales would be made available to clear the inventory. Shipping would be a flat fee of under $8.00 unless the size of the item dictated otherwise.

I have a site reserved and am working on some capital to get it going if there is interest. I think it can benefit the dive community and make me a little money as well. I have no intention of making a bunch of money, just a little extra to cover some dive vacations for yours truly.

I would appreciate members input on this very much. I hope to hear from you soon!

Happy Diving!!

Would there be any guarantee that the equipment would be in perfect working order?

What would happen if the buyer received the merchandise and it was defective?

Would there be any manufacturer's warranty?

These are questions people would need answered prior to being able to complete your survey.

It'd better be the real deal, no kidding low pricing. The members of SB are pretty price savvy, and if you can't beat, say, Leisure Pro by a bunch, you'll be out in the cold. Some issues are, returns, warranties, parts, service, technical support, customer support, gray market issues, etc. I might just take a shot at something anyway, even without a long term positive history (you know how web sit sales can be) if the price was really a lot lower.

A lot.

I'm just not sure how it's possible to do what you're saying in the scuba industry. A lot of manufactures would give anything to shut down Leisure Pro as it is. Most popular brands (like scubaPro) won't warranty a reg you sell, and you won't offer service, I assume. Or are we talking off brands that people can't get serviced locally?

Personally, paying extra to some place, like ScubaToys for example, is money well spent for pre-sales expert advice, after sales care, service, parts, brand quality, etc.

Just my .02.

Rick, just out of curiosity, name one manufacturer that would do anything to shut them down.

Phil Ellis

Well... without naming names... I have herd 2 different manufacture reps at my LDS make it clear that if they could make LP go away, they would.

I think I know what you're saying, Phil. Could be the actual manufacture is quite pleased to have LP peddling their gear. Which might be different than what a rep would say outloud to a LDS owner.

My statement may have been in error, now that you bring me to the table. :D

Well... without naming names... I have herd 2 different manufacture reps at my LDS make it clear that if they could make LP go away, they would.

I think I know what you're saying, Phil. Could be the actual manufacture is quite pleased to have LP peddling their gear. Which might be different than what a rep would say outloud to a LDS owner.

My statement may have been in error, now that you bring me to the table. :D

Actually, maybe Atomic may actually want to see non-authorized sales go away. As for the rest, it sure would cut into their sales tally. Thanks Rick.

Phil Ellis

Would there be any guarantee that the equipment would be in perfect working order?

The products would be first quality or refurbs mostly with manufacturers warranties. Obviously this would vary from item to it based on what the wholesaler sets up on the sale but it would not be second quality goods.

What would happen if the buyer received the merchandise and it was defective?

Defective merchandise could be returned for new items.

Would there be any manufacturer's warranty?

Depending on the item there would be a warranty. Obviously for smaller items there would probably not be, but for BC, Regs, etc they would be covered without a doubt.

These are questions people would need answered prior to being able to complete your survey.

Thanks for the response, I hope I have answered your questions.

Some of these items (higher end) would be comign directly from the manufacturer. This would include last years gear models, their refurbs, overstocks, etc. There would be quite significant savings.
Of course there is not going to be a ton of customer service people or service techs that would be working for me due to the nature of the sales, but I have bought gray market everything and never really had a problem.
I work in the law enforcement arena and deal with gray market goods often. I can tell you that if the manufacturers wanted to shut down the LeisurePro's of the world they would. They can track who is selling their stuff to them and they allow it to continue because ultimately is boosts their bottom lines. That goes for everything from scuba gear to cameras and other electronics. Don't think they don't track serials and know where this stuff is coming from

Thanks for your response.

Rick, just out of curiosity, name one manufacturer that would do anything to shut them down.

Phil Ellis
They dont want LeisurePro to go away. Can you imagine how much LeisurePro boosts overall sales for the manufacturers? The manufacturers talk big but only because they want to make their authorized dealers feel warm and fuzzy, don't look for them to actually do anything. I would imagine overall that LP sells more than most entire regions of LDS's and who wants to take that kind of hit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom