Info A SATurner starts diving*... (*trials and tribulations of a 50+ year old out of shape guy learning to dive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found Dad's old gear:
Likely not worth much more than "look what I have."
Screenshot_20230209-154920.png

Looks like it hasn't ever been checked since purchase. Appears to have a manufacture date of January 1973.
Screenshot_20230209-154935.png

Don't know if it is worth cleaning up and rebuilding the primary or secondary.nnA YouTube video makes the primary rebuild seems deceptively easy.
Screenshot_20230209-155034.png

Screenshot_20230209-155113.png

Screenshot_20230209-155004.png

What are the odds the SPG is functional?
Screenshot_20230209-155017.png

My bet is zero. 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209-155051.png
    Screenshot_20230209-155051.png
    339 KB · Views: 35
What are the odds the SPG is functional?
Screenshot_20230209-155017.png

My bet is zero. 😂
I'll take that bet! I have older SPG's still working fine.

Regarding the regulator, the first stage (Aqualung Aquarius) is a very simple unbalanced piston. Reliable and simple.... Only downsides of that particular one are that it only has 2 LP ports and the HP port is 3/8 instead of the modern 7/16 (both easily remedied with adapters/splitters if desired). The second stage is often referred to as a "1085" due to one of the early part numbers it came in.... Aqualung used the same basic design for decades attached to different 1st stages (Aquarius, Conshelf [pic your number], Calypso [also various versions], etc.) and is still available as the Conshelf 14 to through military and commercial supply houses. Dirt simple, bullet proof, and good breathers.... My kids and I dive them regularly.

Respectfully,

James

I used on of those first stages for years and years in my garage as a source of compressed air. They do last a long time. The tank valve is probably very usable. BTW the spg will work.

So, what I am hearing is clean this stuff up and see if it is serviceable?

In assuming the tank is gone, am I wrong in that assumption too?

So, what I am hearing is clean this stuff up and see if it is serviceable?

In assuming the tank is gone, am I wrong in that assumption too?
Aluminum tanks from that era are usually "bad alloy" tanks.... an alloy that was used was susceptible to sustained load cracking. It could be usable, but many shops just won't fill an aluminum tank that old (and even if they did, the additional annual test requirement is a pain). I'd empty the tank, pull the valve to reuse, and sell the tank proper for scrap.

Found Dad's old gear:
Likely not worth much more than "look what I have."
View attachment 768690
Looks like it hasn't ever been checked since purchase. Appears to have a manufacture date of January 1973.
View attachment 768691

Don't know if it is worth cleaning up and rebuilding the primary or secondary.nnA YouTube video makes the primary rebuild seems deceptively easy.
View attachment 768692
View attachment 768694

View attachment 768695
What are the odds the SPG is functional?View attachment 768697

My bet is zero. 😂
I'd bet 90% chance the SPG is functional. Though I probably wouldn't use it on a dive myself, for the small chance it might fail mid-dive due to some brittle rubber parts that might be inside.

For the tank, if it's steel it might be fine. If aluminum, it might make a good door-stop. The simple-story is that most pre-1990 aluminum tanks used a type of aluminum that was prone to failure. You can technically hydro those tanks, they get a special "VE" stamp. That said, I'd consider it a waste of money. A lot of scuba-shops will probably refuse to fill it, even if you can get it hydro'd and VIP'd. And nobody who knows anything about scuba will buy it on the used market.

I enjoyed the OP s story. I took a discovery dive at Eden Rock in grand Cayman in 2017 at the age of 64 while on a cruise. Half hour shore briefing then some in water orientation, mask removal etc then a dive. It was awesome.

In the fall of 2018 I found a Padi class back in Michigan. Very basic held at a local HS pool. No equipment required to be purchased. the instructor provided a link to bootlegged PADI videos in a foriegn language with American subtitles. Did the classroom session one Saturday then the pool sessions the next 2 sundays.

Booked a cruise in Feb 2019 and did my OW cert dives in Curacao and Aruba. Went on 2 other cruises that year and dived 5 more times. Didn't buy any equipment, strictly rental.

Got cold wearing a shorty wetsuit on those dives so bought a full length 3mm NeoSport off of Amazon for $100. It worked fine an am still wearing it

Had 3 cruises booked in 2020 and 2021 but covid hit and they were canceled. Finally did a cruise in early December 2021 and did a 2 tank dive in Roatan. Did a makeup cruise in Feb '22 and dived in St. Maarten. Another makeup cruise in March '22 and dived in St. Thomas, St. Kitts & St. Croix.

Took an early December '22 cruise. Dived in Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao on that cruise.

I have a prominent brow and all the rental masks would press against it and would make my forehead sore. My wife bought me a Cressi frameless mask for Christmas. Just returned from a western Caribbean cruise and dived in Roatan and Mahahaul, Mexico and the mask worked well.

We tend to cruise between Thanksgiving and Christmas and in early February when cruise prices are the cheapest so we might go one more time this year. Already booked a February cruise for next year.

As you can tell I'm strictly a warm water cruise diver. All the dives I've done were guided so minimal equipment was needed. I may eventually buy a cheap dive computer and maybe some other stuff but nothing is really a priority. Dont intend to get any more certifications, OW is good enough for what I do.

I'm in good shape and good health except for having a knee replacement at the end of this month. I intend to continue diving and cruising until I can't.

Headed back home from a cruise. Dove in Belize and Cozumel. More when I get settled both here and in the diving from a cruise ship thread. :)

I'm a 1954. Certified 1970, dived for 10 years. 17 year hiatus, recertified with my son in 1997, now, 2257 dives later and going strong. My 1972 Scubapro MK5/109 works perfectly, dive it occasionally. My 1972 steel 72 is good too, but abandoned in PA.

Best of luck to you

Dives #7 and #8: (J&R Wall and Double Head Barrel outside of Belize City, Belize)

Dive #7: (J&R Wall)

These dives occurred in Belize from a cruise ship. If you don't know, the cruise ships "dock" in deep water and then have tenders to ferry passengers back and forth from the cruise ship to Belize City. Once on land, a short walk through the "cruise terminal" and I was off down the road to Sea Sports Belize. The walk was easy and everyone was very friendly pointing me in the right direction. I'll post more about the process in the "diving from a cruise ship" thread later.

Once inside the shop, they asked for cert card and I had to fill out paperwork (I thought I did that via email prior, but I digress). Then it was off to the back room where I was asked to set up my gear. Handed a BC and regs and pointed to a tank, I was on my own to set things up. Before I got started, I asked if they would allow me to add my swift transmitter to their equipment. They were more than happy to oblige.

Now it could be that it was a new "thing" and I was nervous, but it seemed like there was a rush to get things set up so that gear could be put onto the boat. After I put the tank on the BC and the regs on the tank, my gear was whisked out and I was asked to go back out front and wait while others set up their gear. They were allowing four (4) people at a time to set up gear. The group for the day was a family of 6 (maybe 8), a father/son team, a solo guy and me. The solo guy turned out to be an instructor from northern CA. In hindsight, I should have asked more questions about the "setup" process. I would have liked to had some time to look over the gear and familiarize myself as well as adding my SMB, whistle, and slate. Note to self, slow down...

There was a very bumpy boat ride to the site. The owner of the shop had suggested that dives should be called off, but the captain and DMs said we would at least get close and see what the conditions were. Worst case we might just swim around inside the reef. Once we got to the edge of the inside of the reef, things seemed a lot calmer. It was interesting to look out across the reef less than 20 yards and see how much different the water conditions were. I would estimate that where we were there were 2'~4' swells and outside the reef things were at least double.

We did an anchored boat dive, splashed off the back of the boat and descended to swim over the reef, then along the outside wall of the reef. The DM had us signal when at 1000PSI, at which point he took us back to the anchor line. The plan was for those low to ascend to a safety stop then surface while those who weren't low would be able to continue their dive. I wasn't first low on air, but I was likely second or third. The son of the father son team went through his tank first. Not sure if the father was in the same place or if he stayed with his "buddy."

Enjoyed the dive, didn't see a lot of fish, but the reef was really awesome. Went to 68.7' with an average depth of 35.4' for 34 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom