A satirical thought for my Underwater Photographer friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nah, diving did not really affect my appetite for seafood much. I gave up sharkfin but otherwise, everything else still looks very yummy :)
Calf is cute but I suppose veal is still yummy too!
At least I don't think that ghost pipefish or frogfish looks appetizing but that's probably not because of diving :D
Mike, aren't you on a tiny island in the middle of pretty much nowhere? I would imagine that there is not much else there beside seafood!

Reminds me of a comment a friend said when I asked her if she liked animals: "I love animals -- They taste good!"

That said, I also have stopped eating octupus and cuttlefish because of my interactions with them underwater. Somehow though I still eat squid and I'm sure whatever distinction I'm making is really fickle.

Apart from sharkfin, I haven't really given up on any seafood (being Chinese as well). Squid still tastes good and so does fish, though I do try to restrain myself. Eat less fish (and no endangered ones, like the Maori Wrasse) though cos I don't really want to empty the oceans completely. So once a week max. Shrimp, on the other hand, is farmed and I eat as much as I can (haha which is a lot!).

Still trying to get the Chinese to stop eating sharkfin but man, it is a tough job. Hundreds of years of history behind it and need a lot of effort to change the people's perspective. Sigh.

Stingray has a completely different texture than scallops. If you know your scallops, no one can fool you. I had never heard of using Manta to subsitute for scallops. Not enough of them out there, smaller rays, though have been used.

Charlie99:
Seeing "dolphin" on a menu down in the Florida Keys was a shock at first. :wink:

I've seen that way up here in NC, but I didn't like the taste. What was shocking when I visited the keys was seeing "Alligator Tails" on the menu. I couldn't resist and it was very, very scrumptious. They had a marsh near the tiny restaurant and they were walking around the parking lot, kind of scary.

Cocoview in Roatan[/QUOTE:
Seeing this thread and the words Cocoview in Roatan reminded me of a similar incident. We had a family diving trip at Cocoview in Roatan and there was a profusion of huge dinnerplate size crabs. The divemaster made sure that we didnt alarm or disturb these beautiful creatures. It got so that they felt like part of the family, each one I saw was a new friend. On the last day at Cocoview they had a big barbecue and guess what was served. Yup it was the same crabs we had been diving with all week. Normally I love eating crab, but this time neither I nor anyone else in my family could eat them. It was as if our family pet was being served for dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom