A regulator to grow into

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peengers

Registered
Reaction score
I have been researching regulators as of late, and I think that I've settled on one of two. I ultimately would like to do an advanced nitrox course and deco theory, so I need a regulator that can potentially do more than 40% o2.

I am thinking about either the atomic aquatics M1 or the apeks ATX 200.

My question to you guys: what are the pros and cons of these two regs? I see good things about both, and they both seem to fit what I am looking for. Any good/bad experiences?

On paper they're both excellent choices. I personally find the Apeks a little wet for my liking so instead of the Apeks I chose the Aqualung LX Supreme. It's essentially the same reg but drier.

R..

peengers:
I have been researching regulators as of late, and I think that I've settled on one of two. I ultimately would like to do an advanced nitrox course and deco theory, so I need a regulator that can potentially do more than 40% o2.

I am thinking about either the atomic aquatics M1 or the apeks ATX 200.

My question to you guys: what are the pros and cons of these two regs? I see good things about both, and they both seem to fit what I am looking for. Any good/bad experiences?

Both regulators are good breathers and will work for the depth and gasses you will be using. Stay away from the titanium first stages but since you mention the M1 I figure you know that. Where will you be diving? The Apeks is a sealed first stage so it holds up to silt and sand and corrosion better as long as it doesn't get introduced into the regulator by mishandling. The balanced Piston (M1) will also do great but some of the internals are exposed to water so everything in the water can get into the o-rings and piston and body. So anything that would cause wear could work on the o-ring. It is not really a problem unless a person fails to wash the first stage.

The Apeks has an advantage in adjustability, the intermediate pressure can be quickly lowered without additional parts or much disassembly. This is sometimes prefered to avoid freeflow at greater depth and with helium based mixes.

Both can route well. Who is going to service them and what is the price of service. If one is more readily serviced that could be a consideration. In cave country I see a lot of scubapro and apeks but I have not seen anyone using an Atomics the M1 first stage is basically a scubapro mk5

I have a bunch of scubapro regulators and have not had any problem with them and I have 4 of the apeks regs and they are great especially detuned a bit.

As far as cost goes I think you could save some money by buying a less expensive model than the ATx 200 such as the AT20 or Z1 instead of the M1.

Any regulator can be made to work with nitrox to 100%. But keep in mind you will be using this mix with a stage bottle and another regulator. So I would put that criterion aside for now. Other than that, I think that you will find that the Apeks is great relieble reg for any conditions, and the environmental seal is great for the cold. As for the atomics, they have great reviews and will give you a little better flow rate in comparison. Other than that, cracking resistance and reliability, they are very similar. If you want to save a little I understand that the Apeks are quite a bit cheaper. Also don't forget to consider serviceability. I notice that you are looking quite far into the future, this goes along with it. Make sure whatever you pick has a LDS that can service it.

Thanks for the information, people. I did some more research and talked to a few friends that use apeks, and I have decided to get an ATX200.

It's pricey but I think I'll be happy with it. :)

when looking at the apeks, is it worth considering the nitrox ds4 vs the regular ds4? what's the difference? do they just switch the internal o-rings with viton? do they change the seat? i hear that they are all assembled with christolube whether or not they're the nitrox version. is the second stage with the nitrox version only a tx40, or can i get an atx50?

I believe that the o-rings are different as the regular DS4 is fitted with rubber and the nitrox version is likely EPDM if not viton. Other than that I think that they are assembled in a clean room so as to eliminate dust and lint getting into the first stage. Don't forget the special greenery, that s@#t ain't free.
I hope this answers your question about the availability.
http://www.apeks.co.uk/products/pro...t=Nitrox Regulators&Category=Nitrox Equipment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom