A quick dive in the harbor gearing up for our 3rd annual cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With just over a month before our 3rd annual cleanup in Marquette's Lower Harbor, a few of us check out the end of one dock to see what remains. We spotted close to 50 tires and a few cool artifacts, oe of which was pretty cool. At the end of the video you'll see a light post with a warning sign that states:
Electricity is very VERY dangerous Use with extreme caution ...
The rest is hard to make out. Best viewed on a laptop or larger screen.
No fish this time, but I did see a bust Caddis fly larvae and horsehair worm along with a couple other cool things.

Nice!

I will be in L'Anse the end of July.

I assume you dove yesterday? The bottom temp was 56° F. How warm "should" the water be on July 31st?

I am not planning on dragging my dive gear up to the UP; however, I could "warm-up" for the thought.

How deep is the Lower Harbor?

Having a Lake Superior Dive in the logbook could be a nice conversation starter while chatting-up Caribbean divers.

Thanks for cleaning up the environment.

Hey Don, nice interview from last year!
Divers and volunteers gear up for 2nd annual Marquette Lower Harbor Underwater Cleanup - ABC 10/CW5

And now I found your event flyer:
3rd-annual-cleanup-poster-jpg.663188.jpg

cheers,
markm

Nice!

I will be in L'Anse the end of July.

I assume you dove yesterday? The bottom temp was 56° F. How warm "should" the water be on July 31st?

I am not planning on dragging my dive gear up to the UP; however, I could "warm-up" for the thought.

How deep is the Lower Harbor?

Having a Lake Superior Dive in the logbook could be a nice conversation starter while chatting-up Caribbean divers.

Thanks for cleaning up the environment.

Hey Don, nice interview from last year!
Divers and volunteers gear up for 2nd annual Marquette Lower Harbor Underwater Cleanup - ABC 10/CW5

Well, if you're in the neighborhood, look me up. L'Anse is less than an hour from Marquette. Are you from the area?

I dove yesterday and today, the lake was 57° so quite balmy. It usually hits 59~60 but rarely warmer.

The harbor is 25' max. There are some deeper (and cooler) dives close to here though. Might as well enjoy yourself while you're here. Plenty of cool shipwrecks to checkout.

Glad you like the interview. There are a few others but this one actually made me sound like I know what I'm doing.

Don

Hi Don,

My wife was born and raised in L'Anse. She has not lived there for 50 years. We have a small house in L'Anse that we use as a vacation home. We will be leaving Ohio for L'Anse in about 10 days or so.

I am bringing my SCUBA gear so I can dive Lake Superior and help you police-up flotsam from the bay at your event. I am not on facebook, but my wife can look up the event page.

Thanks,
markm

Hi Don,

My wife was born and raised in L'Anse. She has not lived there for 50 years. We have a small house in L'Anse that we use as a vacation home. We will be leaving Ohio for L'Anse in about 10 days or so.

I am bringing my SCUBA gear so I can dive Lake Superior and help you police-up flotsam from the bay at your event. I am not on facebook, but my wife can look up the event page.

Thanks,
markm

That's Great, Mark!

I'll have snacks and refreshments for the volunteers. All donated from local businesses. Even during the height of Covid, we've had divers come from Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, some have never been to Marquette before. This really is a fun little event and I hope you'll like it too.

See you next month!

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks,
markm

Better bring filled tanks!

Better bring filled tanks!

Marie brings up a good point. There is no source for fills in Marquette. In years past the local FD would fill our tanks but Covid and/or liability stopped that. I will have a few extra tanks but it would be best if you brought your own.

I have been fundraising and am close to purchasing one, but as it stands, the closest place for a fill in Munising. There is a shop in Iron Mtn which might be a little closer to you, not sure.

I have begun the lengthy ordeal of starting a non-profit club called Great Lakes Scuba Divers & Lake Preservation, but I think I'll start another thread announcing that when we have our nonprofit status. As it stands we have a board, articles of inc., and expect our EIN number very soon. Our first order of business will be to acquire a dive compressor for the club and look at other harbors to clean. In fact, L'Anse/Baraga is on a short list of harbors that we are looking at for possible future events.

Don

Back
Top Bottom