A question on wings - Halcyon & OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen those 'plastic' (yes I know ther is fancier name for the material) bladders break .. on a two week dive expediation in the Sudan. I'm not sure what brand the wing was since I wasn't into BP/Wings setup at that point, but it looked very similar to the one on the photos of your previous post. Anyhow is was not repairable any more! Just image that guy needing to the remaining 20 dives with a conventional BC :banging:

That's why I opted for the Halcyon wing, its bladder is almost as tough as the outside material. I think it is almost unbreakable. At least I haven't heard of anybody having a problem with beeing punctured.

Ray

Me thinks you "New Thread" instead of "Post Reply"

:D :wink:

This message was supposed to be a reply to the thread 'A question on wings - Halcyon & OMS'

Can a regulator please reassign the post to the correct thread?

Originally posted by diveaway
This message was supposed to be a reply to the thread 'A question on wings - Halcyon & OMS'

Can a regulator please reassign the post to the correct thread?

You need to give me the URL of the thread you want it moved INTO.

Very nice fingernails in that pic, SeaGypsy - mine are all chewed from before I owned my Halcyon wing, and worried about things like punctures.

Ok, I'm kidding, I still worry about punctures, but not as much. I love my Halcyon wing; the bladder is some reinforced Cordura stuff that's hard to pop, and the wing has seen some pretty rough limestone walls with me without much wear so far. It's got aluminum threads or something woven through it. I still double wing it when diving wet though (too warm for drysuits off the coast here in summer). FYI, if you dive wet and want to save a buck by not buying two wings, the DiveRite dual-rec or Superwing both have a double bladder.

I agree that the Halcyon wing is much better. Although I patched the OMS and keep them around I mostly use the Halcyon ones. I have done many times more dives on them than on the OMS wings without a single problem.

I find there are better alternatives than double bladder wings, even when diving wet.

Originally posted by SeaGypsy
I find there are better alternatives than double bladder wings, even when diving wet.

Other than double wings, which is what I do, what better alternatives exist to a double bladder wing when diving wet?

Originally posted by trheeltek

Other than double wings, which is what I do, what better alternatives exist to a double bladder wing when diving wet?

A good alternative is to not be ridiculously negative in the first place. This usually means aluminum doubles and aluminum 40's for deco. You should be able to swim the rig from your deepest depth with no gas in the wing. If you have to drop a weightbelt to do this, it's ok, but you should still have enough weight left to make a controlled ascent and hold a 20 ft stop. If you're not diving deep and are using a heavy enough wetsuit, this may be possible with Faber steel tanks too. It varies with the diver, the depth, and the wetsuit.

BTW, I like Sea Gypsy's fingernails too.

Originally posted by Bottomfeeder

A good alternative is to not be ridiculously negative in the first place. This usually means aluminum doubles and aluminum 40's for deco.

Hmm...not sure I think that's better than my double wing system, honestly. I dive steel for a couple of reasons, mostly for all the extra gas - makes turning at thirds a lot more palatable when I've got almost twice as much gas in my 104s at 3500 as I would in my Al80s at 3000. I'm diving al stages though, that does help. In any case, whether you can swim them up or not, I still believe you should have backup buoyancy of some sort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom