A question for the short ladies that dive with big tanks, doubles.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Geeze, how do you do it?
06.gif

I chose AL50’s for self-sufficiency. Unfortunately my physician restricts me from carrying more than 60 pounds post surgery as a result of many years of things like picking up to my own weight and hauling it around. (A word of advise; avoid growing old, it sucks.)

I boat dive with AL80’s and am ok but have found them challenging in rough conditions and cause concern with crew unfamiliar with me. My slow baby shuffle maintaining balance off the platform looks like trepidation. And slow progress up the ladder maintaining balance looks like stress or fatigue. Luckily it’s not rough very often and I’m just fine and haven’t needed any help – yet. But I dislike making anyone uneasy.

Now shore diving I often borrow an AL80 from a buddy that disconnects the water heater from home and just uses that, and again can take only small steps. I’ve been stuck unable to get over a rock without assistance – can’t maintain balance in sand with that much weight back there to take a giant stride in surge. One rock I can’t avoid going over and I need help – arrrugh!

The above didn’t really bother me as I just assumed it was something I had to accept with my size etc. But recently I borrowed the water heater and it was quite the eye opening experience.
In and out was okay actually but from a lava platform. Did ask a bystander to please prepare to support the bottom of the tank incase I lost it sitting down as the owner of the AL100HP was pretty concerned I’d ding his precious water heater. (A very rare item here and I'd need a loan to ship in a replacement!) This thing hung down past my knees and impeded finning to some degree although the valve was millimeters from my head (diving fine but looking up, whack!) Trim was head up too, not horribly but certainly noticeable. Being a noob just recently able to drop 2# from initial dives and concerned about more air space empty I put the 2# weight back on evenly distributed between ditch and tank although the owner said he didn’t make any weight changes using an AL80. Weight check at surface was good.

I slogged my way around quite a long time; what a workout when I usually feel refreshed topside. Actually made 2 dives since I came up to rest on the surface a while to quit sucking air so hooverly.

So how do you guys, sorry (figure of speech, too many years playing with boys) ladies do doubles, dive deep, tech and in general wrangle the big tanks around? I’m quite strong and creative finding ways to accomplish what I want to do within my physician’s limitations. But to dive doubles it appears to me I’d need a crane with preferably electric winch (and a barge to tow me around)
icorolleyes.gif
yet I’ve seen no mention or photos of such things in use.

I don’t add weight when using an AL80 vs AL50, was the additional weight in effect even more weight with that huge tank? More like 4 - 6# overweighting and making me work so hard in the water? I was pretty surprised to tell a difference when using the 2# extra again out of curiosity. I was (knowledgeably) advised the increase in effort required was due to the surge. But I’ve dived in far heavier surge and not felt it an impediment, I notice I may need more effort but nothing to complain about. No current, I followed with another dive with a AL80 and everything was back to normal. I thought it was due to resistance, increased drag from a bigger tank, maybe increased air in BC drag? I don’t remember noting how much it took on the surface, I just filled it tight and hung there feeling like a beached whale. Under I did need more than usual per depth, again just noticeable and not remarkable. Was it just the combination of small things adding up to such a big thing?

Any suggestions or solutions would be most appreciated.

Mahalo

Hi Mahalo,

I'm not a woman nor can I offer much info about diving doubles or with other tech gear. Your post is mostly about AL80 logistics and that I do have a suggestion for...

You don't say what you wear for a suit or how much total weight you are wearing but have you considered something like a Pressed Steel E7-80 tank? It's a full 80 cubic feet with a correct fill, it's only 20 inches long. Since it stays negative all of the time it removes about 7 pounds from your belt. Not to mention the dry weight is about 5 poundsl less when comnpared to an AL80. All told you're about 12 pounds lighter walking into the water and the stout tank is unlikely to bump your behind. Myself and my wife who is not a tall or terribly stong person both dive these and we love them. The only caution would be ditchable weight, after removing about 7 pounds will you have enough ditchable left to make yourself bouyant in an emergency?

It may be worth mentioning to boat crews that you're minding an old injury (or whatever you want to say) and will be taking your time getting on and off the boat but that your' entirely capable. Don't leave them wondering, beat them to it.

It also sounds like you're due for a true end of dive 500 PSI bobbing at eye level weight check, there may be good news there too!

Pete

Mahalo, there may be another way.

I've looked at your profile, and you're a new diver, recently certified, 16 -50 dives. I've looked at your picture and read your post: you are very petite, probably like me.

Doubles and huge tanks are not necessary for most rec divers to have an ample air supply for themselves and their buddy if necessary, and certainly not most petite women. The first major consideration is good dive planning. The second consideration is reducing your air consumption, which will come with experience.

Besides, you're a new diver! You should be enjoying your dives and gaining experience, not fighting with gear! :wink:

I dive with a single 63 cf tank because it's more than I need and the valve of an 80 either hits my head or my legs. Now take into consideration that I frequently dive in extremely cold water (to 38F) and regularly dive deep (between 100 and 125 feet). Yet I normally do the NDL's and still come out with 1000 psi minimum with only one 63 cf tank Why? Because I'm petite, like you, plan my dives well, and have good air consumption. I know many females, here in cold water, that also use one 63. Down south, I have the same results with a 50 cf tank.

I am assuming that right now you are just doing recreational deep dives on air. Any regular tank (63 or 80) will outlast your NDL with a little experience and if you don't exert yourself. When you use one 80 tank, what PSI do you end up with?

By planning your dives well, I mean planning your turnaround time so that there is enough gas for you and your buddy to do a safety stop and safely ascend in case of an emergency. For particularly deep dives/simple penetrations, I use the rule of thirds: turn around at 2/3 of your starting pressure, so that you arrive back at your ascent point at 1/3, and have 1/3 contingency air. This should keep you pretty self-sufficient at the rec level, and be able to lend a hand if necessary. What makes you self-sufficient as a petite female can be very different from your larger male buddies.

Regarding good air consumption, this will be very difficult to do if you are loaded down with a lot of weight, and a large tank or 2 large tanks. You are less streamlined, and struggling makes you breathe harder, which drastically increases your air consumption. Chances are, if you have to really struggle with it, it is probably not necessary for you. Diving is supposed to be relaxing. Now, if you were larger or doing tec dives, I would understand the need more.

When I first started diving, I would consciously slow down my breathing, until it became second nature. If I found myself fighting a current, speeding up or otherwise exerting myself, I would consciously slow myself down. This works wonders.

Maybe you should try with one 80 for a while and figure out what PSI you end up with on a consistent basis and see if it's more than enough. Give it a little time and let your air consumption naturally improve as you become more relaxed. Then decide.

Hope that helps! :)

I guess I got a bit carried away with explaining why I was asking, to the point of loosing the question. A little bit of experiences (I thought were mostly funny) triggering curiosity about how something is done by other people, things I may never do myself. My apologies. I’ll rephrase and try to keep it shorter.

I’m assuming there are small women (or men for that matter) that dive in situations where they desire large amounts of gas and I’m curious how they deal with large capacity and/or heavy gear. How much people are able to manage, anybody ever pile everything they are carrying on a scale?

Spectrum,
Re my personal problems: 3 ml Henderson Hyperstretch, BC says 32# lift capacity, carry 4# on tank and 6# integrated. I like my AL50’s but annoy my bigger tanked buddies. I’ve been looking at the tank you suggest but have wondered about the ditchable weight issue. I’m new enough that I’m at least 2# overweighted still.
Mahalo

Back
Top Bottom