A question for the short divers out there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm buying a semi dry suit for my next piece of equipment, for the cold California waters. I'm 5'5'' (165cm) and I weigh 150lbs (68kg), mostly lean muscle, thick in the shoulders, chest, and legs somewhat. And there is the problem, for height I fit into a small (or extra-small for some brands), weight I'm borderline medium.

I wanted to know which brands fit guys the best with a similar build. And I'll post l my results as I try on different suits.

Thanks!!

I'm 5'5" and weighed 154 this morning, still taking off some weight from 5 weeks of travel in July & August. Fairly athletic build for 67 years old.
Heavy in the chest, shoulders, and legs.

I've got a Bare 3.2 MLS (Medium Large Short) that fits me very well IMO, size chart here:
Dive - Support - Consumer - Size Charts
It says 160-185 lbs and 5'6" - 5'8", but it works well for me.

I don't do a lot of local San Diego diving, but a few years ago I found a lightly used XCEL 9.7.6 ML on Craigslist at a price I just couldn't pass up, and it works.
Fit & Sizing | Xcel US
MLS would be better, maybe keep me warmer, but I don't dive locally enough to justify replacing the great Craigslist deal.

Not sure if your current dive count is up to date but if you're going to do a lot of diving I say just take the plunge and get a drysuit. I tried several wetsuits but none really impressed me and I was always freezing diving in San Diego, but then I was doing at least 70-80 local dives a year. If you're only diving occasionally then maybe this doesn't make economic sense. My coldest bottom temp recorded was 48F -- in July. I did a lot of night diving and stripping off a wetsuit in winter with the wind blowing was nothing short of brutal. I bought a used DUI TLS 350 for $1000. Single best gear purchase I ever made.

I, too, am a member of the Bare size Medium-Large Short fan club. I'm 5'8", broad in the shoulders, but short legs. The Bare M-L Short fits me perfectly. I own the same suit in a 3/2 mm and a 5/4 mm.

Back
Top Bottom