A question about the devils eye/ear entrances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's really pretty simple.

Simply put, cave maps don't show the killer details, especially not the Berman map, especially not at the entrance. And before you go blow the money on the Hancock map, it's not much better at the entrance.

It's not as simple as left and rights. Caves aren't like hallways. Maps can't show all the details.

Does it help if I explain that there are full cave divers who can't find basic tunnels that are marked on maps? People ask for directions to the Whalebone, which is clearly marked and very easy to find, yet trained divers who I trust my life to, ask for help locating it.

I could give numerous examples of the little twists and turns that can kill you in the exit of Ginnie, but I don't want you think that's an exhaustive list and try it. There is a reason that Johnny Richards takes students in to the sign, turns them around and asks them to find the way out, and a reason that I know people who failed.

That's right. At the end of a cavern class, people can be taken to a recognizable landmark, spun in a simple circle in the dark, then asked to identify the way out. And people fail.

Cave diving is not rocket science, but it's not something to be mocked or toyed with. It's worth the money, even if there are some instructors and series of classes that cost more. If you do it well, you can get out for under 2.5 grand.

If all you want to do is that loop, you can by taking a cavern course and then being guided up 1 level. I believe there are certifications that allow that, even though it's technically a traverse in terms of exits, because it's not a traverse in terms of gas management and commitment. That's probably the safest and cheapest way to do the dive. Plus, the cavern course will let you take lights into most Florida state parks, many of which aren't in navigable waterways and thus you do have to follow their rules.

I take my own boat to Kings Spring but the $22 is worth it for Ginnie. 1/3 the cost of a boat dive, nice leisurely dive, no scrambling back into a canoe (which might require touching land at which point you might be trespassing, or requires standing in the river and flopping in if the water levels are right), no leaving the car at a boat ramp where you are more likely to be robbed or shot, etc, etc. Plus, the rules are nothing more (and infact sometimes less) than industry standards imposed as guidelines after analysis of hundred of fatalities which might as well be suicides at some point after the guidelines have been published and are thence ignored.

That said, I do believe you are a troll, and I tip my hat towards you for your ability to get people riled up. Well played good sir, mayhap you'll have too much to drink at one of Wayne's parties and spill the beans around the nitrox banks and we'll have a good laugh about it.

I have no interest in taking a cave course or becoming cave certified or going any deeper into a cave than I'm discussing in this thread, there is one thing kind of "cavey" I want to try though. I would, of course, take a reel and a light and a backup light....

Looking at a map of the devils eye/ear system it seems fairly simple to go into the ear, stay with the wall to your left and circle around and come back out the eye. like a really big swim through.

My first thought was to suggest that you make out a will and leave all your dive gear (except your wetsuit) to me. Instead, I'll suggest that you make out a will and leave all of your dive gear (again, probably leaving out the wetsuit) to SUDS.

OMG!!! LOL, that is funny. I'm checking local yoga rates now. You are correct. When is the last time someone died from improper yoga training. Those classes are REALLY expensive. LOL.
What would it cost me to become Full Yoga certified?

Hi Hetland!

Yes, I lied again. (I said I wouldn't post again on this thread) worse yet, this is also a blatant hijack, but hey, what a frigging waste of time...

At least I get to say "Hi" to someone who isn't DIR. my turn to troll...

So Hetland,

If the OP is suggesting two passes through I would naturally assume that the plan is:

Primary tie-off, run line with tie-offs, exit system, secure reel, return to "toy" end of line and re-enter system while taking up line???

:rofl3:

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 01:15 AM ----------

What I was talking about doing can't be a very long distance ... Maybe go through the loop twice.. once to lay the line and once to pick it up? I'm not very good at guessing distances but looking at a map it can't be more than 50 yards?

I know he is going to edit this, now saved for all posterity.

This is my last post on this thread, I'll probably get modded out anyhow. MY message before this happens is: Ginnie is a really awesome place. It can also quickly kill you if your "good idea shortcut" turns out to be sub-optimal...

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 01:30 AM ----------

OP, you had a world class discount high quality offer back there a while ago. IJS...

Last edited:
I had a guy like this when I was skydiving and running a dropzone... After the first jump course he bought a used parachute rig and started get his farther to take him up.... He lasted 6 weeks before killing himself on a jump, from his dads plane.... :confused:He told me I was ripping people off charging 20bucks a jump for gear rental, instructing, packing and the plane ride to altitude... He got what He paid for.... They don't know... what they don't know:shakehead::idk:

Jim...

That's right. At the end of a cavern class, people can be taken to a recognizable landmark, spun in a simple circle in the dark, then asked to identify the way out. And people fail. .

I'm pretty sure I could do that now. Tie off with a finger spool to the sign, and check one way for a bit, then come back, check another until I get it right (with the most obvious first way to check being the direction of the flow since it's headed out)

Cave diving is not rocket science, .

Apparently some of the other posters think its above anyone else's ability but their own.

If all you want to do is that loop, you can by taking a cavern course and then being guided up 1 level. I believe there are certifications that allow that.

Exactly what I asked about halfway through that thread and was told no. I've pretty much decided to take the cavern course, I'm researching different instructors now.

I like your response, and judging by just this post I would like you.

Being pretty sure you could do something and actually doing it are thirteen different things. Even coming out of the system the flow does not always head out. It also heads in to false exits that can trap you quick and get you entangled quicker. These maps only show a top view drawing of the cave. They do not show duck unders, ledges, crevices, and space between boulders that loom like a tunnel.

I am not saying you could not do it, I am saying it is 100 fold safer doing it I. The presence of an instructor.

No one in this thread said anything about themselves being the only one who can cave dive. What they all said is that the training is out there, take advantage of it, and make yourself a safer diver in ALL aspects of your diving.

Many have tried to teach themselves cave diving. Some have succeeded, but many others have not. Do not become one of those. Google Ben McDaniels.

I have tried, along with another cave diver/ow instructor, and a very knowledgable instructor to share our combined 30+ years of knowledge with you. I never claimed to be the best, but after ten years of cave diving, and a few "oh $4!+" moments, I have built a decent base. I have offered to talk to you, and dive with you. You have declined all. I don't know what else to do at this point.

What is your dive experience and background? If you do not have the experience and skills, I will dive with you, video your diving, and the we can sit and critique it and show you how to improve to make your cavern class experience that much better. After your class I will dive with you and help you build and practice those skills.

I have already made plans for this Sunday at Jug since you did not reply. However I will still meet with you after if you like.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 09:22 AM ----------

Also, you took Jah Jah's rocket science quote way out of context. Are you a journalism student by chance? :)

It's not as simple as left and rights. Caves aren't like hallways. Maps can't show all the details.

Does it help if I explain that there are full cave divers who can't find basic tunnels that are marked on maps? People ask for directions to the Whalebone, which is clearly marked and very easy to find, yet trained divers who I trust my life to, ask for help locating it.

I could give numerous examples of the little twists and turns that can kill you in the exit of Ginnie, but I don't want you think that's an exhaustive list and try it. There is a reason that Johnny Richards takes students in to the sign, turns them around and asks them to find the way out, and a reason that I know people who failed.

That's right. At the end of a cavern class, people can be taken to a recognizable landmark, spun in a simple circle in the dark, then asked to identify the way out. And people fail.

Cave diving is not rocket science, but it's not something to be mocked or toyed with. It's worth the money, even if there are some instructors and series of classes that cost more. If you do it well, you can get out for under 2.5 grand.

I see you only read what you want to hear. Read everything above that statement again,... because it looks like you missed it entirely. Perhaps, what Jah Jah Warrior should have really said,... it's not rocket science when everything goes right. We train & continuously practice for when it doesn't. Why do you think that is? Even a short dive as you describe can, has & will go wrong.... very wrong. As my instructor put it," it doesn't matter if you are male, female, smart or stupid, or anything else, the cave does not care & will kill you just the same." When we enter these environments, even trained, we take on additional risks, as opposed to OW diving. The difference is we have been trained to mitigate the risks. The risks are still there, but those who have been trained have been taught how to handle them. To learn how to handle the issues in an uncontrolled & unsupervised way is certainly not ideal. Why do you think its a good idea to have OW training to dive in the first place??? Obviously you do, or you wouldn't be diving,now would you? If it takes OW training to safely scuba dive, wouldn't it stand to reason that it takes more advanced training to cave dive? To go into a cave without training is completely unconscionable. Especially when the training is readily available & in all rights,... affordable.

It blows my mind entirely:shakehead: that how many people here have replied & pretty much unanimously said the same thing, yet you still think you can beat the odds? What makes you so sure? So you seriously think the 500 or so divers that have died in the caves planned on not returning? Yes, it's possible you may get away with it 1 time,... but then when the confidence, complacency & bravado catch up to you,.... IT WILL BITE YOU IN THE REAR END,... Guaranteed. Oh, yes, easy to say now it will not,... that is not human nature & I would hazard a guess that you are human. As someone else has mentioned, when an untrained diver enters a cave or overhead environment, you have just picked up a revolver pistol, put a cartridge in the chamber, spun the chamber, pointed the gun at your head & pulled the trigger. Will you be lucky?.... or not? Is that truly what you want to do???:confused:

I'd like to dive with you Jason. Still have to take cavern though. Maybe one day.

I don't know if you mean me or not, but my offer goes out to anyone that wants to dive. Cavern certified or not. We can dive to your limits and training and I can give you video of your dive so you can critique yourself.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom