A question about Scuba Board posting etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt, I was delighted to find ScubaBoard as it is a wealth of information. However, one of the things I've come to realize is that it might just as readily be named EgoBoard.
Needless to say that any activity with such potentially hazardous consequences should be taken seriously. That doesn't mean that people need to take themselves so darned seriously.

An ounce of empathy can be worth a pound of belly-aching, no doubt. That said, I had an old Murphy's Law poster years ago, and one thing it said was 'Where you stand on an issue depends on where you sit.' While I agree with the input from the other responders, I want to expand on the 'other side' a bit.

There are some topics for which the answer isn't simple, or isn't well-represented by one person, and are best dealt with in extended, multi-post debating threads exploring different uses & users. The main topic I think of a newbie is apt to ask on this subject is "I'm new. Should I get split fins?"

It's true some people may be too 'ego-involved' in the issue to pass on the thread but resent the bother. Or, it may be they believe you will be best served by reading through a well-developed pre-existing thread, and run the risk of being unduly influenced by a couple of responses if that's all your current thread gets (which won't be the case endorsing the superiority of split fins!).

Another situation comes when such a topic comes up but the answers may need to be even more tailor made for the individual diver. An example would be 'Should I get a regular jacket BCD, or a Back Plate/Wing setup?'

Some people like personalized replies, or to socially participate in the forum by being in a discussion instead of just reading other peoples threads. Some are intimidated by extensive prior threads (e.g.: split fins) when they want a brief answer - a Preacher on the radio commented in this day & age we don't want a book, we want a chapter, we don't want a chapter, we want a paragraph, we don't want a paragraph, we want a sentence.

Stated briefly, in some cases (not all) it's like a power struggle between people who don't want to bother researching and people who don't want to bother reiterating.

The approach I see helping point people to such good resources & illustrating how to find them, without offending the person, is when members instead post a link to one or two of the better pre-existing threads. Instead of 'go look it up,' they say 'here's a link to a good thread addressing your question.' You can even say 'I did a quick search & found this thread...' without offending people.

Richard.

:rofl:

I've posted a lot of things, starting with USENET, that got misread simply because of the lack of facial/body clues.

To anyone who has experienced usenet in its glory days (NOT google groups *gag*) this place is next best thing to a church picnic.

Bob is spot on, ScubaBoard is not Wiki and Wiki is not ScubaBoard, they are different and serve different needs, but both are useful. As far as "read the (manual, thread, post, etc.) responses are concerned, as oft as not they are in response to someone posting nonsense that has already been referenced as being in the: manual, thread, post, etc. It is a good idea to either read the thread first, if if it is really long, to begin with a statement that you've not been able to do so.

Whether at work or IRL, when someone hasn't bothered to even crack the cover on a manual, I am not very inclined to be helpful. I am however quite willing to help anyone who has shown some initiative and effort. If no manual is supplied or it isn't that kind of question, fair game, but I still draw the line at being someone's research librarian. There is a line that makes me stop and say "Really? Are you really too lazy to look that up for yourself?" The internet, libraries, books all exist for a reason, and nobody should expect to be spoon fed without taking some shots for it.

IOW, IMNSHO if you want answers with a smile you need to show that you are trying.

YMMV

Reading here about accidents, near-misses, and downright tragedies, I am struck by what a serious matter scuba diving is. Scuba Board is a social venue, but it's also a lifeline for us all, in that we receive life-saving information here every day.

So even though I've felt insulted a few times in recent weeks here, in future I'm going to temper my reaction with this newfound understanding of the deadly seriousness of this sport. For example, if someone scolds me for not being adequately cautious, or uses a somewhat negative tone to tell me something that might save my life, that's not quite as insulting, is it?

And a lot of the people here are technical divers. As serious and dangerous as recreational scuba diving is, what they do is many times more so.

Finally, I'd like to say that the flames I've gotten here have been few and far between. I haven't felt particularly picked on or abused, the way I have on some other forums in the past. The vast majority of the members of Scuba Board are very genteel folks indeed.

Regardless of how delivered, I always appreciate the pointing out of things that may not be obvious to me as a new diver that I need to be aware of.

Like Matt noting that there is a two week cycle on SB?

LOL, not quite (that was oreocookie in #10 who referenced the repeat cycle BTW).

That isn't exactly critical dive skill stuff. Forum survival is a different skill set and I'll take my chances on that one :)

LOL, not quite (that was oreocookie in #10 who referenced the repeat cycle BTW).

That isn't exactly critical dive skill stuff. Forum survival is a different skill set and I'll take my chances on that one :)

"Fast, Cheap, or Good. Pick any two."

I always did like your ability to comprehend the immediate environment.

Whether at work or IRL, when someone hasn't bothered to even crack the cover on a manual, I am not very inclined to be helpful. I am however quite willing to help anyone who has shown some initiative and effort. If no manual is supplied or it isn't that kind of question, fair game, but I still draw the line at being someone's research librarian. There is a line that makes me stop and say "Really? Are you really too lazy to look that up for yourself?" The internet, libraries, books all exist for a reason, and nobody should expect to be spoon fed without taking some shots for it.

IOW, IMNSHO if you want answers with a smile you need to show that you are trying.

YMMV
I think I was pretty darn nice last night in my approach to linking the manual, quoting the answer, and my hints at downloading it to use one's computer to :search: the term.

At least there is the joy of knowing your comments are probably read, unlike emails to my family. :eyebrow:

I think I was pretty darn nice last night in my approach to linking the manual, quoting the answer, and my hints at downloading it to use one's computer to :search: the term.

At least there is the joy of knowing your comments are probably read, unlike emails to my family. :eyebrow:

Absolutely (on both counts). And that's a good thing, I am not knocking it at all.

For me, if the question is "I don't have the manual" I would happily do the same. Or if it is "I don't understand the manual". But if it is "I could not be bothered to read it" I would likely just not reply.

My rationale is that at some point there will be nobody to ask. If you are not familiar with the manual, how it is laid out, and its quirks in how it explains things, you are SOL. I am reasonably adept at technology, but still found my dive computer manual a challenge. Having taken the time to actually read it, though, I am now significantly more (not necessarily completely) self sufficient. IMHO this is the kind of sport where self sufficiency should be a clear goal, regardless of the type of diving you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom