A passing in Juneau, Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tristan.ak

Contributor
Reaction score
The local LDS in Juneau Alaska passed while on a commercial dive for sea cucumber. I want to add a little more to this story that is not found in the local newspaper. For one he was a good diver, and had a thousand or more dives logged in Alaska. He was also a former aquaculture farmer in Southeast Alaska prior to becoming the new owner of the LDS in Juneau. I talked to him a lot when I lived there we planned on diving the next time I was in town. This is a hard time for Juneau since it is such a small town, and already the community lost his business partner to a accident a few months ago. I don't know how to go about this the right way and wish that I didn't have to share this bad news.

Juneau man dies in apparent scuba diving accident | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

Tristan,

I'm sorry to hear this about your friend and local dive shop owner. My condolences.

I realize this is a "Passings" thread and not an A & I one, but here is the content from your link for future reference (now the link is active and there are comments, etc, so this is not to discourage people from clicking on at this time).

Juneau man dies in apparent scuba diving accident
Posted: October 24, 2011 - 5:39pm | Updated: October 25, 2011 - 12:06am
JUNEAU EMPIRE STAFF REPORT

John Robert Pugh Jr. of Juneau died early Monday morning while scuba diving in the vicinity of Funter Bay on the west coast of Admiralty Island. He was working as a deckhand on a 21-foot skiff in a sea cucumber fishery opener that was scheduled to start at 8 a.m.

Pugh, 35, was a certified diver and owned a local diving business. He is the son of University of Alaska Southeast Chancellor John Pugh and his wife, Margaret.

Alaska State Troopers say Pugh Jr. was on his second recreational scuba dive of the morning and diving alone at 6:30 a.m. “when the boat operator and permit holder noticed that Pugh’s activity in the water had stopped. The skiff moved closer to Pugh’s location where a diver entered the water and contacted Pugh who was unresponsive near the bottom in 20 feet of water with his regulator out of his mouth.”

Pugh was brought to the surface and hoisted on the boat where CPR was unsuccessful. Pugh was immediately transported back to Auke Bay and the Coast Guard was notified via marine radio.

Upon arrival at the Auke Bay Boat launch, the skiff was met by a Capital City Fire and Rescue squad, which determined Pugh was dead.

The Medical Examiner’s Office was contacted and ordered the body sent to Anchorage for an autopsy in accordance with standard protocols. There were no signs of trauma and the cause of death is unknown. An investigation into the incident is ongoing, and is being pursued by both the Coast Guard and the Alaska State Troopers, Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Kip Wadlow said. He said he could not discuss any findings of a preliminary investigation.

“It’s a tragic event, and the Coast Guard’s thoughts and prayers are with the victim’s family at this time,” Wadlow said.

The Juneau Police Department assisted with the notification of next of kin. His parents were in Boston attending an educational conference. UAS spokeswoman Katie Bausler told The Associated Press they are expected back in Juneau on Tuesday.

My Condolences from Sitka. We were planning to meet John in a couple months when we brought all of our tanks over for VIP's. Sorry that I will never meet him.

Back
Top Bottom