A new wreck for Australian East Coast the HMAS Brisbane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Wow that's a very impressive ship and should be a pleasure for divers to explore. I'll add it to my list for a future trip to Australia. I may have missed it but the web site wasn't too specific on the wreck's expected depth. A map shows the approximate depth to be about 25 meters.

Cheers,
Mike

scuba_mike:
Wow that's a very impressive ship and should be a pleasure for divers to explore. I'll add it to my list for a future trip to Australia. I may have missed it but the web site wasn't too specific on the wreck's expected depth. A map shows the approximate depth to be about 25 meters.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike
They are dropping it in 30m/98ft

Cheers
Chris

And they are going to be doing Heli-Diving on it! Basically, you fly out to the wreck site in a helicopter, jump out in full kit as it hovers, do the dive, then when you surface, you are picked up in a military-style RIB and whisked back to the shore at speed. Sounds a lot of fun, and adds a new element to diving this wreck, which sure does look to be a decent-sized ship.

Mark

Sydney_Diver:
Hi all
At 10am on Sunday the Guided missile destroyer HMAS Brisbane will be sunk just north of Brisbane.

This will be one the premier wreck dives for the East Coast of Australia.
For more information check out

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/about_the_epa/coming_events/sink_the_brisbane/

Cheers
Chris

Awesome stuff. I will have to take the time to have a dive on her when I am next over the ditch, especially as we have cheap air fares to the gold coast these days.

Wellington is getting its own wreck in November as well.

http://www.divewreck.co.nz/F69/index.php
http://www.divewreck.co.nz/F69/index.php

Hey Mark,

I was just reading my August issue of Scuba Diving and there's a website reference to the Sydney-based heli diving outfit that you mentioned: http://www.heli-diver.com/

It looks like quite a thrill.

Cheers,
Mike

Heli diving Pre-requisites : PADI Open Water with 10 dives.
SSI & NAUI certifications require Open Water diver
level.

Don't you just love it? Yet another way to kill newbies for money. :censored:

scuba_mike:
Hey Mark,

I was just reading my August issue of Scuba Diving and there's a website reference to the Sydney-based heli diving outfit that you mentioned: http://www.heli-diver.com/

It looks like quite a thrill.

Cheers,
Mike

Grajan:
Heli diving Pre-requisites : PADI Open Water with 10 dives.
SSI & NAUI certifications require Open Water diver
level.

Don't you just love it? Yet another way to kill newbies for money. :censored:

I agree that perhaps only 10 dives is too few, you have to have real water confidence to do this, but how is it 'another way to kill newbies for money'?

By the looks of it, they hover pretty low over the water (the photos of divers in wetsuit with fins high above the water isn't what they are going to be doing with fully-kitted, paying customers!) and what's a three or four metre jump into the water? I had a diver with under 15 dives going off a three-metre high wall in Bonaire and they loved it – ended up doing it three times!

Wait till they start doing the 'ejector-seat-from-F111' entry into the water – then that would be a killer!

Mark

OK - 'kill' might be hyperbole but OW divers with only ten dives have more than enough to think about being correctly prepared for an OW dive without this additional workload / distraction. They need to be entering the water in a calm controlled manner, closely coordinated with their buddy. It seems highly irresponsible to put them into this position. They are still way too inexperienced to know they are way too inexperienced. It seems like the perfect way to create a scuba accident and it is the unfortunate nature of scuba accidents that people die more often than not.

The 'for money' bit? No-one seems to want to restrict their customer base to those appropriately trained as it might cut into profits. General complaint about the world today.....

MarkUK:
I agree that perhaps only 10 dives is too few, you have to have real water confidence to do this, but how is it 'another way to kill newbies for money'?

By the looks of it, they hover pretty low over the water (the photos of divers in wetsuit with fins high above the water isn't what they are going to be doing with fully-kitted, paying customers!) and what's a three or four metre jump into the water? I had a diver with under 15 dives going off a three-metre high wall in Bonaire and they loved it – ended up doing it three times!

Wait till they start doing the 'ejector-seat-from-F111' entry into the water – then that would be a killer!

Mark

Thank you for your comments in relation to Heli Diver qualifications.

I would like the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding the qualifications of divers (or in your opinion, lack thereof) that you have raised in relation to heli diving activities.

Could I first ask a couple of questions of you...

1. What experience do you have as a diver?
2. What experience do you have with helicopters?
3. Are you aware of the training and safety aspects of heli diving and the checks / training carried out on all participants prior to conducting practical heli diving activities?

I look forward to getting the answers to the above questions before I respond to your concerns.

Heli Diver

Grajan:
OK - 'kill' might be hyperbole but OW divers with only ten dives have more than enough to think about being correctly prepared for an OW dive without this additional workload / distraction. They need to be entering the water in a calm controlled manner, closely coordinated with their buddy. It seems highly irresponsible to put them into this position. They are still way too inexperienced to know they are way too inexperienced. It seems like the perfect way to create a scuba accident and it is the unfortunate nature of scuba accidents that people die more often than not.

The 'for money' bit? No-one seems to want to restrict their customer base to those appropriately trained as it might cut into profits. General complaint about the world today.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom