A new way to look at dive planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really fail to see how this offers anything different than the free app available from Sunnto.

Why doe's it have to do anything other than plan a dive. Compare them side by side & see who's implementation delivers the info in a way that best suits the individual, you. See how the profile from algorithms compare.

I already have one too, I also have the Suunto planner, & Free Planner, & ... to play with as well. Competition is good, no?

Appears to be a thinly veiled advert for a product that does nothing the 5 or 6 others already out there dont already do.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of graphical simulators. All I really want/need while planning the are key numbers and the ability play "what if" quickly.

Products that try to make a computer game out of it (at least all the ones I've every tried) invariably succeed in one thing: making it take 10 times longer than the more "to-the-point" tools to see the right information in meaningful format.... especially if you want to play "what if". the worst ones make playing what-if a fully-blown exercise in frustration.

These kinds of tools are great for visualizing the dive after the fact but for planning.... meh.

R..

I really fail to see how this offers anything different than the free app available from Sunnto.
Available on iPad?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of graphical simulators. All I really want/need while planning the are key numbers and the ability play "what if" quickly. .....
From your post I can see that you did not even look at divePAL ....
Running what-if scenarios with divePAL is even faster then entering number .... example: what-if I change my dive profile staying 1 minute longer at 90ft and 2 minutes shorter at 50ft? Just use your mouse (or your finger on the iPad version) to change the shape of the dive profile and see how all the relevant data changes too.

From your post I can see that you did not even look at divePAL ....
Running what-if scenarios with divePAL is even faster then entering number .... example: what-if I change my dive profile staying 1 minute longer at 90ft and 2 minutes shorter at 50ft? Just use your mouse (or your finger on the iPad version) to change the shape of the dive profile and see how all the relevant data changes too.

Actually, that's exactly what I don't like about GUI based simulators, although on an iPad it might be less of a PITA than with the mouse .... assuming there's even enough data visible on the graph to see the main parameters of the dive... In your post #10 in this thread I didn't get that impression but maybe that's configurable. In any event it came across as cute but useless to me....

But like you said in an earlier post, ice cream comes in different flavours for a reason. it's not my thing because I don't plan my dives like this but i can imagine that other people would like it.

Maybe it has to do with how I use a dive planner. I don't care if compartment #12 has 60% or 62% loading or that it's going to go down to 22% during a surface interval....all that information is useless to me... I just want to know how deep and how long my stops need to be.

If it's an NDL dive that's all I need to know.

R..

p.s. to be fair to you, if you still think i don't get it then I'll download it and run some simulated dives using divenav and vplanner and time how long it takes me to get the information I need and then post it here.

If it's an NDL dive that's all I need to know.

I just spent a few minutes playing around with divePAL. For us "over 50 rec divers" who want to end our multi-level dives with our nitrogen loading in the "green", it's a pretty cool simulator.

pretty cool simulator. BUT....if I want to use it with my Suunto Zoop it seems like I have pay/subscribe.And if i change my DC then i'd have to pay again? not gonna happen.
I would "buy" dive planning/log software (in fact we've been looking at software) or i would use a free software package but divePAL seems to be just a method to soak a few bucks out of someone.

too bad too as i'm looking for some easy to use complete software for some dive training

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom