A new video showing Reverse Kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan, I liked the video and second (or third) the idea of identifying the particular movements of the fins.

I also watched the second one by Jepuskar and if you're considering compiling a library I'd suggest getting the story straight:

Are the videos supposed to be helpful and informative...

or are they supposed to mock others who don't dive the way we do?

both, duh. :wink:

Dan, I liked the video and second (or third) the idea of identifying the particular movements of the fins.

I also watched the second one by Jepuskar and if you're considering compiling a library I'd suggest getting the story straight:

Are the videos supposed to be helpful and informative...

or are they supposed to mock others who don't dive the way we do?

My idea was to make some videos that would help people. For them to be enjoyable to watch, they could use a tiny bit of humor. The idea of using a "stunt diver" is to remove any potential offense... a character like "Super Dave", and to show people an exagerated form of what is commonly/traditionally done...and what would be a much better way....For the masses, this may be the first time they will have ever seen the better way, or realized that in the diving they are doing, there might be a slight issue in their own technique they may want to improve on.

I do want to make certain that people do not feel insulted by our representations....Perhaps when we finish the next one, I will do the private list video stream option to 20 of you guys, and use your response to this like a focus group...to try to make certain most feel it is not offensive. There is "some" sort of balance..we have to poke a little fun, in order to make it enjoyable, and to make it something divers will "pass around".

put errol in a poodle jacket with integrated weights and overweight him. it will make it much easier for him to look silly :)

Dan I thought your video was great.

I was refering to the second one. It's funny to an insider true (and I get the joke) but if the page is to reach out to those who aren't "in the club" one might want to consider perceptions that's all. What's the biggest DIR related criticism? "Elitist and looking down on those who don't dive their way".
I don't think there is any need to lampoon the jacket BCD. The truth is there are many fine and accomplished divers who use them. If it's true that DIR isn't just about the gear I'd say why not reflect that.

I was refering to the second one. It's funny to an insider true (and I get the joke) but if the page is to reach out to those who aren't "in the club" one might want to consider perceptions that's all. What's the biggest DIR related criticism? "Elitist and looking down on those who don't dive their way".

Thanks Dale.
I see what you mean. I am going to try hard NOT to make anyone feel bad.
Our idea of actually showing the value to the recreational diver--showing how this will help them, will hopefully get us on the right track.
I am about as new to U/W video as you can be, so I can only get better at it :)

Dale, I think the second video was really making fun of the "Get a BP/W" brigade, here on ScubaBoard. Jep was lampooning the folks who tell new divers that their IQ will increase and their teeth will get whiter, if they just buy a backplate . . . There ARE some other videos out there that are pretty elitist ("Raining Students") but this one certainly wasn't intended that way.

I don't think there is any need to lampoon the jacket BCD. The truth is there are many fine and accomplished divers who use them. If it's true that DIR isn't just about the gear I'd say why not reflect that.

Some insecure people will always feel like "better" people are being elitist. I think what Dan has done here is really nice, and its really good at hi-lighting what the problems with "typical" skills are. I have to say though, what drew me to DIR was how much better it looked and how much more logical it was. I never felt like anyone was being elitist ever, and I even watched the DIR series of videos (which some people think contributed to that elitist feeling). At some point, people just need to see it and accept that higher skill levels are desirable and achievable by everyone.

I am glad Dan is taking this initiative. I hope if helps enlighten more people.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom