A New and Unique Dive at Kealakekua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings,
I wil be in Kona during the week of 3-25 / 4-1.
Let me know if you have time for some shore or boat dives

Good Divin

Since the bay is a marine sanctuary, will any thought be given to either recovery or towing it out to deep water before sinking it?

Evidently from the linked story there is a car in the bay as well.

Suspect even if the house could be towed to shallow water, it would be destroyed attempting to move it onto land. Best that might happen is the residents could salvage some personal things.

Very sad, wife and I walked down that little stretch of road just a couple months ago. The houses were very private, facing the water. If not for the tsumami and salt corrosion risk, what a place to live.............

I would hope that any divers that recover items would have the courtesy to return them to the family.

Reports seem to indicate the house was a vacation rental, not a personal home.

Agree from what I've heard. The Honolulu news stations reported that it was owned by someone in California who was planning on retiring there in a few years. They also reported that the value was around 1.3 million.

As I told my wife... "Not any more."

They also reported that the value was around 1.3 million.
Don't doubt that price for an instant. Hell, the lot is/was probably worth that much. How many lots are ocean-front on Kealakua bay? I see maybe 12 on Google Earth, dunno which side of the landing the house was on. If you can avoid the once or twice a century tsunami or hurricane, you got it made.............

Then again, the odds may catch up and bite you. I live 500' up for a few reasons...........should be golden unless Hualalai decides to let go.........

Some photos of the foundation were published on a local Facebook account, not a single tie down or J-bolt to be seen, just a few sheared off plumbing connections. This was going to happen given a tsunami or hurricane storm surge. It also explains how the house ended up intact in the bay. Just the way to build a house that sits at sea level!

Some photos of the damage
Video of Napoopoo including some shots of the foundation

County officials and DLNR are talking about how to remove the house from the bay and marine reserve. No word on whether the house was still afloat or has sunk onto the reef. How much coral has been crushed under the floating house?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom