A little poaching going on at Porteau Cove,,but he got caught!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

99north

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Upon returning from the Hornby Island trip with the Edge I drove by Porteau Cove on Sunday night only to notice two Crab trap buoys about 10-20 feet outside the Park Marine Buoys. I called DOF right away to report it and was told an officer would look into it Monday AM.

On my trip to Van on Monday morning, to my dismay there were now Three Crab trap ( or prawns) buoys,,,so I stopped in and found a park attendant who assured me he would find out who it was and remove the traps. On my way back up the highway on Monday night, there were still the three Buoys there again,,,I called DFO again and got the Squamish branch and told them the scenario now...they said they would contact a DFO officer and have him go have a look. Tuesday morning on my way down they were still there!!!!!!!!!!!! So I stopped in again and found another park attendant who was more eager to remove them than the first guy,,,he showed me the boundary and although the buoys ( traps) were outside the line by 20 feet, he felt that this was a fine line for poaching and said he would call DFO<<<LOL!

SO to my amazement today ( Wednesday) on the way down, the traps buoys were gone,,,apparently DFO did show up and catch this dude in action! He was staying at the campsite and had a small zodiac to set the empty the traps. I was told by the attendant from Tuesday that he told DFO that a "diver friend" told him that it would be a great place to catch crabs and prawns...Whether or not DFO took his truck camper and boat is unclear,,,but I hope they fined his ass big time.

He was very apologetic and humble I was told and promised to never do that again...( what else would he say facing losing everything he had there at the campground), Thank goodness they took the traps and saved some DIVERS hehehe, the trouble of hunting down the trap and making it disappear for good.

I want to know WHO is his DIVER FRIEND?????????????? , if in fact a diver friend even existed.

Keep your eyes out on dive sites...this isn't the first time I have seen people poaching marine life there....anything suspicious report it to DFO right away.
Thanks
99north

I doubt they took his stuff away or gave him a big fine. I've only heard of that happening twice in the last 10 years on Vancouver Island. Both were for repetitive, large-scale, commercial poaching (truck full of abalone). You only have to look at the number of recreational fishing boats with lines out in the Race Rocks or Chain Islets ecological reserves on an average weekend to realise how "serious" enforcement is. I guess it all comes down to resources.

I wouldn't be surprised if a "diver friend" told him that. There's all sorts of assholes in this sport.

Taking away all of his gear for what might be first offense is a bit much.

Not all dive sites are protected, nothing wrong with harvesting some delicious delicious critters. As long as you follow the rules.

I met a person at Porteau Cove who found a crab trap and he took it home. He said it was illegal setting traps in Porteau Cove and the owner didn't have his name on it. It looked like it was a brand new crab trap. It didn't have any rust on it.

Seems to me if you are out of the park even by a few feet then you aren't poaching:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom