A little inattention goes a long way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Rick,

Thanks for posting. I just bought a Aries Atmos 2 and will be having my first dive with it in a couple of weeks. Good point on what a few feet difference will do.

Make me even more sure that I will be checking my computer VERY often!!

Jeff

Rick Murchison:
Both using SUUNTO Cobra. Both with factory default settings.
Rick

Just goes to show what a difference those few feet can make. Thanks for the lesson, Rick.

as legal advice, i suggest the following:

1. i didn't do it

2. nobody saw me do it

3. can't prove it in a court of law

(this is from Bart Simpson, back in the days when i still watched TV)

Rick Murchison:
I should mention another little lesson from this incident... this diver's buddy's computer was not in deco, and the buddy had plenty of air as mentioned in the original post. On debrief the buddy said he had stayed a few feet shallower than the incident diver the entire dive - so they learned what a few feet could do to both gas consumption and decompression status, and why each diver must have his own gauges/computer and track his own dive profile.
Rick
First off - good story - great job.
I wonder if the buddy with air was aware of the situation. It's interesting as I often check my buddies air supply - but I never looked at their computer. After hearing this I think I'll make a point of that as well in the future. As you said - just a few feet can make a lot of difference. A reason to check could be if I know my own computer was pushing the NDL.

aviddiver(him):
Aha!

Well ...
No pictures?
Didn't happen!
gedunk first.

Huh?
To paraphrase a famous statement:
"I did not have instructional relations with that diver"
or
"That depends on what the definition of "is" is"
:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

H2Andy:
as legal advice, i suggest the following:

1. i didn't do it

2. nobody saw me do it

3. can't prove it in a court of law

(this is from Bart Simpson ...

Thanks for enlightening me. Figures - from the infamous, neo-cultural, sociopath - Bart Simpson.

gedunk:

Gedunk, how about sharing one of your personal faux-pas?

Great job, Rick.

Now, I may (and probably will) get flamed for this. However, the incident you described could easily happen to me because of bad habits. I was trained and did most of my diving in the Puget Sound area. Most of my dives were no more than 70' deep, usually around 40' - 50'. I always got cold before I had air/deco issues. I used my computer as a gauge.

Now I live in Hawaii and do quite a bit more deeper diving. I have gotten complacent on using the computer as it is meant to be used resulting from my bad habit.

Anyway, this incident has brought this all back to my immediate attention. I have a dive planned this weekend to 100' so I'm going to pay attention and re-train myself.

Thanks for helping me specifically with this story.

Thanks for sharing.
The best proof that the best training will be no good if the diver doesn't have common sense. The positive in this story appears to be that the diver is willing to learn his lesson from this incident and mostlikely will not repeat this mistake again.

KimLeece:
I wonder if the buddy with air was aware of the situation. It's interesting as I often check my buddies air supply - but I never looked at their computer. After hearing this I think I'll make a point of that as well in the future.

When I'm diving with anyone that's fresh out of OW, I ask them if they mind me checking their gauge once in a while. I haven't had anyone refuse yet, but still respect it if they do. I dive with 119s and most everyone I've dove with so has used 80s. I've seen a few of them get too distracted to notice that it's about time for them to begin their ascent.

I trust my regular dive buddy enough to not bother asking to see his gauges, but when we're below a half tank, we let each other know how much we have left so we have a good idea how to modify our dive plan and when to head back with plenty of time/air. It's a polite way of prompting your buddy through offering up your own guage details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom