A lesson in differential pressures...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey Divers,

Next time you get a hankerin' to wander past an operating intake source u/w, just remember the crab:

www.offshorediver.com

Click on "photo gallery", click "page 24", scroll to the bottom of the page & "click here"

( Hey Natasha - I'm still fixated on those crabs, eh?! )

D.S.D.

"It has nothing to do with NASA but it's pretty damn neat just the same.
An ROV was cutting a pipe in 6000 feet of water. Pipe was at surface pressure. Difference: 2700 psi.
The saw blade was 3mm wide. A crab wanders past and, well, that's it for the crab."

I guess that is the same as losing cabin pressure in the disaster movies and people getting sucked out of the windows. Amusing video, although not a particularly graceful way to die for the crab.

"I guess that is the same as losing cabin pressure in the disaster movies and people getting sucked out of the windows. Amusing video, although not a particularly graceful way to die for the crab."

Yeah...better to take a quick swim in my boiling crab pot!

D.S.D.

I'd love to see what Mr. Crab looked like coming out of the other end of that pipe. Probably a lot like the silt he kicked up..

It doesn't take that kind of depth to be very dangerous, although it does make a great video.

A water level difference of a few feet can pose a major danger to a diver. You can be sucked and held or even have some of your parts pulled of.

Dams, weirs, piping systems, just about anything that has or can have a water height difference from one side to another.

You should see the flow when you open a pipe between two retention ponds. YEEEHAAAAAAA!

Remember divers, I am a professional pipedope, don't try this at home. :D

wow... that was something...

i do feel sorry for the crab. good thing invertebrates don't have central nervous systems, which, i am told, means they don't feel pain...

is that true, btw?

H2Andy:
wow... that was something...

i do feel sorry for the crab. good thing invertebrates don't have central nervous systems, which, i am told, means they don't feel pain...

is that true, btw?

Some do, some don't. Crabs most definitely have a central nervous system.

Whether they feel pain or not is another matter... and in any case, I'm willing to bet that if the crab did feel pain, it was quite brief.

that is true... that was awful fast

DeepSeaDan:
Hey Divers,

Next time you get a hankerin' to wander past an operating intake source u/w, just remember the crab:

www.offshorediver.com

Click on "photo gallery", click "page 24", scroll to the bottom of the page & "click here"

( Hey Natasha - I'm still fixated on those crabs, eh?! )

D.S.D.

Dan the man! I miss your stories darlin'.

Wow what a link! Poor crab ( I live 8 miles from Houston NASA)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom