A knife-light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that I cannot trust reviews of anything in a magazine -print or on line- if the manufacturer supplied the product. That comes from falling for too many "reviews" on things like electronics, cars, hunting gear, scuba gear, etc. Someone who has went out and actually spent their own money on something is going to give it a more honest review than someone who not only accepts a mfg's "gift" but also tries to get advertising from said mfg.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that I cannot trust reviews of anything in a magazine -print or on line- if the manufacturer supplied the product. That comes from falling for too many "reviews" on things like electronics, cars, hunting gear, scuba gear, etc. Someone who has went out and actually spent their own money on something is going to give it a more honest review than someone who not only accepts a mfg's "gift" but also tries to get advertising from said mfg.

Even at that it's a coin toss, Jim. Manufacturers advertise even if they don't provide free beer for the reviewers. Basically mags report what the manufacturers WANT to hear, not what divers NEED to hear. It's not just a problem limited to diving rags either. It's everywhere. (to pick a random example, the Lonely planet writers were notorious in the 1990's--maybe still are--for giving better reviews to hotels that bathe them in beer and give them nice clean young girls to "accompany" them on their stay)

The sad truth is, advertising dollars speak louder than integrity as a general rule.

I don't even recall the last time I saw a review that I thought was objective.

R..

Just like all the other products we review, we heard about it and wondered how it would be in the real world, so we contacted them and they submitted one for us to review. If you haven't read our FAQ yet, give it a read and we address questions like this.

Thanks
Jeff
And if I knew that up front, I would be much more skeptical of your reviews, and would either take them at face value or not bother reading them.

This product is a fantastic example - you provided a glowing review of what is essence a scuba novelty, with limited practical applications in the real world and some legitimate safety concerns. It's also phenomenally expensive for what it does and there are numerous better solutions on the market. Your review, however, failed to describe even a single negative aspect of this product. The bias is obvious; your disclosure of it is not. There's a lot of effort in your FAQ and "About Us" section of your website to make you out to be a reliable authority with suggestions that your reviews are independent, but this review calls both of those statements into question.

There was a big uproar last year over "Truth in Blogging" to prevent exactly this, and the FTC responded in kind with their updated interpretations of 16 CFR Part 255. Worth a read.

Since the thread has totally left the topic of the 'knife light' specifically...

It reminded me of a couple of combination products I prototyped years ago that were clearly ahead of their time...

image011.jpg

People said they were inappropriate...

whatever

Dare to dream, manifest your vision...

It would have become popular if you had painted it white and called it the iCig regulator.

The knife is really odd, though. I mean, you can't even hold the damned thing between your teeth! :D maybe if they paint it white can call it the iDuh then people will buy it anyway :wink:

R..

I'm working on a kitty litter scooper which also functions as a Pez dispenser... Sure to become a collectors item in a few short years. :shakehead:

Seriously, delete the review of this product; NOBODY will ever take any future review seriously. I can't figure out which was a worse idea: to make a light-knife or to give it a good review...

I'm still not 100% convinced the whole thing is not a spoof.

your review offers no insights beyond an "advertorial"

And you managed to get in a plug for GUE and two for Halcyon in this thread. Nice advertorial

And you managed to get in a plug for GUE and two for Halcyon in this thread. Nice advertorial

The difference being I actually believe GUE is a massively beneficial source of diving knowledge, and the Halcyon products I mentioned are excellent products/gear in all ways.....

There is nothing wrong with pushing good knowledge and good products...there is alot wrong with pushing garbage that anyone who tried the garbage, would recognize as garbage right away... How can you even compare? Or are you trying to be "oddly humourous" / droll ?

Anyone else remember the Halcyon "inflator of death?"

ok... to be fair, I can fully understand brand loyalty. All of my regulators are Aqualungs and that's not an accident. That doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else makes good regulators, though.

I'm just saying :wink:

R..

Anyone else remember the Halcyon "inflator of death?"

ok... to be fair, I can fully understand brand loyalty. All of my regulators are Aqualungs and that's not an accident. That doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else makes good regulators, though.

I'm just saying :wink:

R..
Sure.. And I use Scuba pro regulators, not Halcyons....because I have used scubapro regs for over 20 years, since long before Halcyon... And, I will not use Jet fins, for MANY good reasons, even though these are GUE "spec".....
ANYbody that has read many of my posts knows that I have opinions on dive gear and configuration needs, etc....and that my opinions are not ADVERTORIAL... they are me saying exactly what I think about stuff.... I don't believe I could ever accept money for gear reviews, as this would show a potential for bias to occur....I would rather have this in sfdj.com as an unpaid service, and one that would increase the number of divers visiting it....in retail speak, this would be a "Loss Leader" :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom