A joke for Tuesday (apologies to any scousers on the Board)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welshman

Reaction score
One day a Jewish chap, a Hindu chap and a Scouser arrived at their hotel to find there had been a mix up with their bookings and there was only one room for them to share. The manager explained that the room had two beds but he'd phoned an old farmer friend of his who had a barn one of them could sleep in free of charge. They complained a bit but since there was no where else to go the Jewish chap very graciously said he'd sleep in the barn. The Hindu and the Scouser were just settling down to sleep in their room when there was a knock at the door. It was the Jew.
"I'm sorry", he said, "but there's a pig in the barn and because I'm Jewish I feel uncomfortable sharing the barn with it".
"No problem", said the Hindu equally graciously,"I'll sleep out ther instead". So off he went to the barn leaving the Jew and the Scouser to get to sleep.
They were just settling down when a knock came at the door. It was the Hindu.
"I'm sorry", he said, "but there's a cow in that barn and because I'm a Hindu and they are sacred to me I feel uncomfortable about sleeping in the barn with it".
The Scouser grudgingly agreed to give up his bed and stomped off to the barn, leaving the Jew and the Hindu to share the room.
Finally just as they getting off to sleep, came another knock at the door....

It was the cow and the pig.

Isn't a scouser someone from Liverpool? Where'd the name come from?

You're right. A Scouser is a Liverpudlian. Generally thought of by non Scousers as rogues.

Further example:

What do you call a Scouser wearing a suit?....

The defendant.

O-ring,

Scouse is (or was) a type of stew which originated in the Liverpool area.

It was traditionally made from cheaper cuts of meat and bulked up with potoatoes and root veg. Great on a cold day !

Heres a recipe although families have their own secret ones.

Hoppy (proud to be a Tyke not a Scouser)

Recipe for Scouse

1lb Stewing Lamb (neck or cut shoulder) cubed
3 med carrots
1 large onion
3 big spuds (potatoes)
2 Knorr Lamb Stock Cubes
salt & pepper to taste.
sunflower/or low fat oil
tablespoon flour

chop onion and add to heated sunflower oil, stir until soft (not browned), add lamb, stir unitl seared, add flour, stir in enough stock, made from stock cubes, to a 'soup' consistency, add diced carrots and spuds, make sure you've got enough water in it to be able to move it round that pan. Cook for 45 minutes with lid on stirring regularly. Serve with buttered crusty bread and pickled red cabbage.

There's a really good article on here ......

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/recipe2.htm#Scouse 1

by Gareth Roberts which describes the similarities of names and dishes in Germany and Norway. Of interest to me 'cos I've eaten both the dishes described.

Anyway I am off to crawl back under my rock and consider what to do while my perforated eardrum heals !

No diving for me for weeks and weeks and weeks AAAAARGH !

Have a great Xmas and New Year folks.

Hoppy ;-0 ;-0

Hoppy once bubbled...
O-ring,

Scouse is (or was) a type of stew which originated in the Liverpool area.

It was traditionally made from cheaper cuts of meat and bulked up with potoatoes and root veg. Great on a cold day !

Heres a recipe although families have their own secret ones.

Hoppy (proud to be a Tyke not a Scouser)

Recipe for Scouse

1lb Stewing Lamb (neck or cut shoulder) cubed
3 med carrots
1 large onion
3 big spuds (potatoes)
2 Knorr Lamb Stock Cubes
salt & pepper to taste.
sunflower/or low fat oil
tablespoon flour

chop onion and add to heated sunflower oil, stir until soft (not browned), add lamb, stir unitl seared, add flour, stir in enough stock, made from stock cubes, to a 'soup' consistency, add diced carrots and spuds, make sure you've got enough water in it to be able to move it round that pan. Cook for 45 minutes with lid on stirring regularly. Serve with buttered crusty bread and pickled red cabbage.
I wondered where the name came from...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom