A great day at Bonne Terre Mine's Treasure Hunt: 2010, sponsored by Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ScubaBoard was more than an intregral part of this event. We received over $40,000 in donated prizes. The main reason companies donated to the event was the exposure they got from the event banner on ScubaBoard.
if you own a company that sells scuba related products or a resort that caters to the Scuba Diving industry, YOU NEED TO BE ON SCUBABOARD!.
The event banner listed all the companies that donated to the event. That banner received over 130,000 impressions.
Thanks ScubaBoard, we couldn't have done it without you!

just want to send a line to the west end dive guys. the treasure hunt was great and the sponsers were also.hope to see you all next year and hope the sponsers have a lot of neet stuff again so maybe i can get me some. also thanks for the neat light i bid on and got. hope to see you all, and thanks again.

I won't be returning for another treasure hunt!!! This just was not what I expected after reading the treasure hunt invitation email. According to the email it said that there were enough prizes donated for everyone to win a prize valued at $75 or more. This was not the case, which is fine, that's not the big gripe because I do appreciate the fact that companies did step up and donate some wonderfull prizes for us divers to win. The big complaint I have is that honest people like myself and my brother don't have a chance to win anything. We were informed at the pre dive meeting that anyone cought sharring chips will be disqualified. Well I have seen more than one group of divers just in my group that were sharing chips. I notified the guide and nothing was done. I do understand it is a touchy subject and I understand why the guides don't what to say anything to them. It's a shame that some people feel they have to cheet. Maybee instead of an auction after the dive you should make it a raffle for the prizes. This way everyone realy has a fair chance to win something. Just a thought.
On the positive side, The t-shirts were cool, the dinner was very good, the staff was realy nice. and I must addmitt that the event was organized well.
We do love diving the mine I just don't think we will be doing this event again.

Hello Bil4lo,

First of all, thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. We are always looking for ways to improve. As far as having a raffle, that approach doesn't work for the "vendors". What happens is, the person who won a prize via the "raffle system", doesn't really want that particular prize and tries to negotiate a trade with the vendor. The vendors simply don't want to deal with the hassle and possible negative publicity. The reason we get so much donated, is that the people who win the donations, really want that particular item.
Pertaining to your concern about everyone winning something valued at $75.00, everyone did.
Everyone received a free dive certificate for a return trip to Bonne Terre Mine.(retail value $65.00) Everyone received a buy 1 get one free dinner certificate from Mario's restaraunt. (retail value between $9.95-$14.95) Everyone also received a role of Rescue Tape (valued at $10.00) and a luggage handle wrap from SSI (valued at $2.95) Total retail value of $87.90. Participating in the 2 treasure hunt dives, the Treasure Hunt Tee shirts, the BBQ and opportunity win some of over $40,000 of donated prizes was $119.00
As far as people "pooling" tokens, as I'm sure you remember, we discuss in the briefing that people can't pool tokens and if we (the staff) see the activity, people will be disqualified. As an additional security measure we zip tie each bag at the end of each dive.. As you mentioned in your post, we can't take action from someone telling us about it. The entire Bonne Terre Mine staff agrees with you that it's unfair that some people don't play by the rules. However,MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO WON PRIZES ABIDED BY THE RULES.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us. We have used your comments to add additional security measures next year.
I personally, look forward to diving some trails with you in the near future.

Steve

Last edited:
We had a great time at the treasure hunt, my brother-in-law, myself & 417diver.
I can't wait til next year as we will be back for this event, I will be bringing my wife & sister-in-law next year who could not make it this year as they were finishing up their open water checkout dives the same day we were diving for treasure.
I ended up getting an underwater photography book in the raffle & got a pair of the APS Mantaray fins in the auction. The food was great after a day of diving & all the staff were a grest bunch of people. We also ate at Mario's friday night and must say the food there was very good also. The cloudy weather made for nice suface intervals & I met a bunch of cool people in between dives. Next year I think we will take off work on Monday so I don't have to drive back to Nixa, Mo after the dives on Sunday. look forward to next year, see you all there!!!! Oh ya, I think I will have to work on my my fitness before I haul all that gear out of the mine next year. I am thinking I might rent weights next year also it's not a fun walk out of the mine with all that gear.

Attachments

• BTM Treasure Hunt 347.JPG
    BTM Treasure Hunt 347.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 60
  • BTM Treasure Hunt 206.JPG
    BTM Treasure Hunt 206.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 64
Bonne Terre Mine. What a great place to dive. The $40,000 Treasure Hunt is the icing on the cake!!
The staff did a fantastic job as they have done every year. I enjoyed coming solo to the mine this year to meet new friends and much to my delight they were there. It was quite entertaining listening to the different dive experiences from all over the world.
This year I was fortunate enough to bid on a IST Dive Bag System . The bag has been awesome!! I not only use It for diving but also to carry my boating gear when I spend the day on the lake. Easy to clean with its hard back, wheels and handle to get to and from, and the best part…… four bags in one. The main compartment, a backpack, a regulator bag, also a pack for your all of your dive/boating accessories. My new friend Dean Hempel (aka the Blue Whale) from Sport Diver Solutions Corps. told me they had just finished critiquing the bag and it stacked up. I agree 100%! Just wanted to say thanks to IST for your donation to the Treasure Hunt, I will enjoy it for years to come.
This dive destination is a top 10 on my dive log. Thanks Doug Goergens and his dive family, NetDoc (aka Mr. Pete Murry)and all who participated to make this an outstanding day. It was the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sincerely,
Dave Rusteberg

This years dive was the first one I was able to attend. Last yr just before the dive I received an injury that kept me on the sideline. I was very excited to be able to participate this yr. It was the first time I have hit the water in 2 yrs and found that I really missed it. The staff and the facility was better then I could ever imagined.

The sponsers and the donated prizes where surprising. I never thought that therr would be that kind of support for an event like this. The community of divers that where involved in this event where friendly and fun to talk to.

I have found a dive facility and staff that I would love to expand my dive training and experiance with. I think the staff on the ground and also in the water know how to have fun but take safety very seriously. Thanks for everything.

Last edited:
It was my fifth scuba diving trip to the Bonne Terre Mine, and second for the Treasure Hunt. In the past I also took my entire family for a boat and walking tour. Every time I go there I'm impressed by the beauty of this unique place. After so many years of scuba diving I can say that Bonne Terre Mine is one of my favorite diving destinations.
This year my friend and I decided to participate in the Treasure Hunt again. The event was run very smoothly: it was well organized with lots of friendly people and lots of fun. I collected many tokens and I was able to get a "Mares" Icon HD computer. I'm in the process of replacing my older scuba equipment, and I'm very happy with the prize I got. I already used the computer during my recent dives, and it worked very well. The screen is very bright, so I can see data with much more ease. I cannot wait to upgrade it with the transmitter. I value "Mares" equipment for the quality of their products. I have used "Mares" many years ago back in Europe and never had any problems with it. My friend and I stayed for two more dives on Sunday. The trip was a very good experience, not only because I was able to get that valuable prize, but also we met a lot of divers from the entire country (Maine, New York, California, Missouri, and other states), and we had a chance to talk to them about our love of scuba diving.
Thanks to all who organized this very special event, for the memories it gave me, the boost of energy I got during the trip, the excellent prizes, and to the sponsors who made it possible. Also special thanks to the photographer for the beautiful pictures under and above the water.
I have plans to return to the mine soon for some more tours and of course the next year's Treasure Hunt is on my schedule.

Sincerely,
Marian

Bonne Terre Mine -- what a great place to dive!! I, along with 8 other divers from my scuba shop in Enid, OK, traveled to Bonne Terre for the annual Treasure Hunt. We were all very impressed with the quality and professionalism of those who organized and sponsored the event. We had an absolute blast diving the mine!! My non-diving family members who also attended the event were also kept busy touring the mine and were impressed with how well the mine has been preserved. Three of us divers even left with "treasures" found -- dive trips! My wife and I won the grand prize, a trip to Grand Cayman (she's counting the days down).:D
We came across a glitch with the trip though when we discovered that instead of the trip expiring in one year, it actually expired at the end of 2010. My wife is a teacher though and would not be able to take time off before then for this trip. However, Steve Dozier of West End Diving in Bonne Terre and the sponsors for the grand prize came to our rescue! He got us in touch with Keith Sahm, the director of the Sunset House, the resort where we will be staying, who personally called me and listened to my dilemma. He said he wanted us to still be able to take the trip, so he very kindly extended the time for which we will be able to take this trip. Keith then went out of his way to call the director of tourism for Cayman Airways, Jeff Ginther. Jeff graciously agreed also to extend the time for which our air to the Caymans will be allowed. SO thanks to these terrific men, my wife and I will be able to take our super cool trip when it is convenient for us. :D
I can not say enough great things about West End Dive Center and the sponsors of my trip, Sunset House and Cayman Airways!! Sincerely,

Ron Strickland
North West Oklahoma Scuba Center
Enid, OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom