A good starter computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilDogMech

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good starter computer. I dont have one, and have to rely on my buddys for ascent rate, and the like.

Only realy looking for ease and simplicity of use, price, and lastly the number of functions/gadgets.

I would prefer to pay about $200.00

TIA

Bill

Hey,
I just got a Suunto Vyper and I think that it's OK. I can't really hit the buttons underwater with gloves on but I don't really have the need to. I'm a new diver and I'm running the Vyper in gauge mode to not become a wrist watcher. I prefer to know the tables and only use the computer as a reference. The nice thing about the Vyper is that it does have an ascent indicator while in gauge mode.

Good luck,
Craig

I paid 299USD for it a LP.com

I would look at the hockey puck style computers for a starter. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and more reliable than some that cost over a grand plus they make a good backup in the future. Features, though fairly standard do vary some. Nitrox and a backlight are good options. Even if you do not see nitrox or night diving in your future the cost difference is not significant and gives you much more flexibility in the future. Just head down to your LDS and let them hook you up with what you need.

zslnk once bubbled...
Hey,
I just got a Suunto Vyper and I think that it's OK. I can't really hit the buttons underwater with gloves on but I don't really have the need to. I'm a new diver and I'm running the Vyper in gauge mode to not become a wrist watcher. I prefer to know the tables and only use the computer as a reference. The nice thing about the Vyper is that it does have an ascent indicator while in gauge mode.

Good luck,
Craig

I paid 299USD for it a LP.com

Uhm... why didn't you just get the Suunto D3? Leaving a computer in gauge mode makes buying a computer kinda pointless don't you think? Gauge mode is usually just for deco dives when the computer's deco model can't handle the intended dive.

I use my computer (Suunto Vytec) as a reference system...a plan the dive at the surface, and dive as close to my plan as possible... I use the computer to stay as close to my initial plan... and to time my safety stop...but I do use it as a computer.

Anyway, back to the thread, the Vyper or Vytec seem to be the general favorites... with the rest of Suunto's line-up following close behind. The Mares M1 seems to be a good new comer... I've lost some faith in the Uwatec lineup since their law suit. But there are still people who like them.

Set a budget, then shop around. I'd say your pretty safe with the Suunto line. A few people I know like Oceanic... they find Suunto more conservative. I really don't mind and I'm happy with it's being conservative. The Vytec is actually my first computer too... I asked the same question a few weeks ago... and asked a lot of local divers here... the Vyper was the recommended computer... but then, my LDS was selling the Vytec at only US$50 more... and considering they have simlar functions...with the Vytec having the option of gas switching...I opted for it instead even if I don't need it yet. It was only $50 more anyway.

But I think you'll be fine with either one. :)

Back
Top Bottom