A fully DIR question, GUE actually

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dtaine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Easy, simple question, is Nitrox diving covered in GUE Fundamentals?

I'd heard it was, and even if it is I'm thinking about getting the cert before-hand, but it would be nice to know if the Fundies class covers it. The GUE website says "Breathing gas overview" is one of the academic topics, but I wasn't sure if that meant a Nitrox certification went along with the class or not.

Yes, the use of Nitrox is covered for GUEF. Now whether or not a LDS will accept a fundies card that lists Nitrox to get fills could be a problem. The recreational pass for GUEF does not list Nitrox on the card, at least mine didn't. The tech pass does list Nitrox.

I know it is covered, but I too am not sure if any LDS will give you fills with a GUE-F card. I'm debating if I want to take a Nitrox class before I do fundies as well....

Mine says "Trained in...the use of 32% Nitrox." A statement which came in handy on a charter when my card that says "NAUI Technical Diver Helitrox Diver" wouldn't get me 32%.

I know it is covered, but I too am not sure if any LDS will give you fills with a GUE-F card. I'm debating if I want to take a Nitrox class before I do fundies as well....

If your LDS won't accept your GUE-F card that specifically says Nitrox 32% (or whatever) on the back, what makes you think they'd accept any other agency's Nitrox card? In that case you probably should decide whether its worth your effort to educate the owner/manager of the LDS or whether you should find another shop. If its just that they don't like GUE cards, you may already have your answer..

I don't know if my LDS would or would not accept the card....the issue that I've read is that some people have had problems getting Nitrox filled when they get their certification from a not widely known agency (for example, there's a "certifying agency" called SDA that will give you a c-card for taking an online Nitrox class....people have been turned down when asking to get a Nitrox fill because dive shops have never heard of this agency). Although GUE is fairly popular, it's nothing compared to PADI or SSI or NAUI, which pretty much every dive shop should have heard of, and would surely fill with Nitrox after having seeing one of these certification cards...

I would like to think that a dive shop wouldn't turn down a person with a GUE card that says something to the effect of "trained in the use of 32% Nitrox", but who knows....

Both mine and my wife's cards state that we are trained in 32% nitrox. I haven't had a problem using it so far, but the only place that really checked was Bonaire Dive and Adventure, and Benji works there.
Tom

I'm not sure I've ever had a card checked to get 32%.

The shops around here that I've frequented seem pretty DIR aware though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom