A few questions...1 thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkSteffen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a couple questions concerning BCs

1. I've noticed that many BC brands also make other stuff, which makes sense economically. Is there a brand that is famous/well-known for their BCs?

2. To get more specific, is there a brand of BC that is famous for a particular aspect or another? Like Schmoe's BCs have really great integrated weight systems, power inflators, color schemes, whatever.

3. I am currently torn between the Zeagle Ranger '08 Ltd and the Mares Dragon (with AirTrim & MRS Weights). They are about the same price on LeisurePro. I have read great reviews on both.

A. Can anyone compare and contrast these?

B. Can anyone compare and contrast ripcord vs. MRS

C. Is AirTrim with Mares anything more than a gadget?

Appreciate all responses to any or all of these questions.

Thanks,

Mark

These are my totally subjective comments.

For the record, I have a Ranger LTD and a friend has a Mares with Airtrim - not sure if it's the Dragon - but I have seen it up close.

I don't think the Mares takes doubles if that's something you'd be interested in later. With the Ranger, there's a mounting kit for them or their optional backplate for additional stiffness.

The Airtrim just strikes me as more un-needed failure points for the sake of convenience. DIR and other schools of thought on SCUBA emphasize minimizing failure points when diving, this seems contrary to that notion.
The exclusive "Twin Exhaust Valve" technology, patented by the Mares research laboratories, allows the Airtrim® deflation button to simultaneously control both of the pneumatic exhaust valves: that way,
Afaik, there's two extra little tubes running inside the jacket to the pneumatic dump valves. Which also suggests more complexity. There's also two check valves in the dump valves so that water can't enter the BC.

Of course the big advantage is that it always vents air through the appropriate opening without having to think about or adjust your orientation. With the Ranger LTD, there are times when you have to put your left shoulder higher to vent from the pull-dump on the inflator.

My dump valves consist of a flat rubber diaphragm with a spring and attached piece of nylon string to pull each one. Granted you have to decide which one to pull, but it's not rocket science.

Air Trim System, Elimination of your bulky corregated hose makes for the most streamlined configuration
I just don't see that a single inflator hose, properly secured is such a drag through the water. In my opinion, they're addressing a problem that doesn't exist for the sake of convenience. I could probably make a case that the surface area of the airtrim mechanism is close to that of a corrugated hose.

I asked my friend once what she'd do if the inflator failed nowhere near a Mares Dealer. Her answer was she'd rent something else. The Ranger has a standard 1" inflator hose and a much simpler inflator mechanism, I fixed mine once when it was sticking by banging it on the side of the rinse tub while swirling water thru it. Lost one dive that morning. I also can buy a replacement generic inflator hose just about anywhere as needed.

With my Ranger, I can visually inspect my corrugated hose leading right to where it plugs in to the bladder, my friend has to un-zip hers first somehow to do the same afaik. So you're less likely to notice a problem during a quick visual inspection.

Also there's a separate inflator hose that's tucked into a pocket in the event that you need/want to do manual inflation. Another dive buddy of mine does this every pre-dive so he doesn't use tank air to inflate his bc prior to jumping. Seems like that would be more difficult with the Mares.

On the plus side, loading weights into the Mares seemed easier than my Ranger. Esp. when already wearing it. And they have a nice positive click when locked in.

I use the yellow bags with my Ranger (provided with the LTD) for any all/weights, I've used lead shot and various combinations of soft and hard weights - none has ever gotten past the ripcord. A buddy had a 1 or 2lb. bullet weight drop through his ripcord once when we jumped.

my .02..

Wow...that was a far more comprehensive response than I expected! Thank you!!

One question: "afaik" what does that mean?

Thanks again,

Mark

Wow...that was a far more comprehensive response than I expected! Thank you!!

One question: "afaik" what does that mean?

Thanks again,

Mark

AFAIK= As Far As I Know

Deep Sea Supply is famous for their BCs. The reputation is deserved, for quality, innovation, and superb customer service.

1. I've noticed that many BC brands also make other stuff, which makes sense economically. Is there a brand that is famous/well-known for their BCs?
If you mean which manufacturers have a reputation for making good BCD's then you'll probably find that most of the "usual suspects" BCD's are qualitatively similar. Some manufacturers like Halcyon and OMS try to capitalize on their reputation by selling their gear at stupid prices but by and large as long as you stick to the mainstream gear manufacturers you can't really go wrong. A more direct answer to your question given my experience is that "Seaquest" (which is division of Aqualung) probably stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of price/quality and market penetration. Mares is also quite well known for their BCD's and like most things Italian, the styling is really important to Mares and you'll either think they're really cool looking or you'll wonder why you're paying for this narcissistic attention to appearance.

2. To get more specific, is there a brand of BC that is famous for a particular aspect or another? Like Schmoe's BCs have really great integrated weight systems, power inflators, color schemes, whatever.
In terms of functionality I can't think of anything that one manufacturer has that others don't apart fro Mares. Mares has that air-trim inflator which is unique to them. Seaquest inflators are probably among the most bullet proof on the market but I'm not sure about some of the gear available in your area. One idea is to ask the Seaquest dealer what they think of Zeagle and ask the Zeagle dealer what they think of Seaquest. I'm sure they'll both have long lists of what's wrong with the products they don't sell.

3. I am currently torn between the Zeagle Ranger '08 Ltd and the Mares Dragon (with AirTrim & MRS Weights). They are about the same price on LeisurePro. I have read great reviews on both.

A. Can anyone compare and contrast these?

B. Can anyone compare and contrast ripcord vs. MRS

Can't help you here.

C. Is AirTrim with Mares anything more than a gadget?
Well.... Personally I don't like it. It's just another thing that can go wrong and I really don't see the big drawback of a traditional inflator. The air-trim works by using LP air from the regulator to open the valve for dumping. That means there's something mechanical in there that you can't see but it moves back and forth with 142psi applied to it every time you push a button. My thinking about these things is .... "why" would you do that when it only adds another potential problem point that will inevitable and invisibly wear out... Conclusion: It's a solution to a problem that does not exist.... ie, a gadget.

R..

Airtrim, in my mind, falls into the gizmo category. Also I don't see "reducing bulk" as an argument in their favor - the thing looks pretty large.

My observation as a 'common everyday diver'........Heard of the Zeagle Ranger ALOT, never heard of a the Mares Dragon.........Maybe Zeagle has a better PR department though, lol.....

A friend of mine was in the market for a a new BC and she's been told by the dealer himself that mares air-trim has some problems like letting water into the BC.

other than that, we've got about 10 mares BCs and you can't imagine how unreliable they are. Dispite the non-hard use, some of them have holes on the bladder and the plastic parts on it got broken.

A friend has used the airtrim. He really liked it because he had one place to reach to adjust his buoyancy. Compare that to say two shoulder dumps and a butt dump on some BC's.

The danger he saw was that it might encourage someone to use it as a elevator switch, and adding air to the BC is not a way to make a controlled ascent.

Back
Top Bottom