A few pics from Santa Rosa's BH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnDiver:
Thanks for the update w/pics Don.

Guess I'll hold off on getting my new gear wet for a few more weeks...
Oh, you could still dive Perch Lake on Saturday. It should be about as warm as The Hole by now, and it's kinda' fun. For depths below 50 feet, The Hole was reported clear at 60, and may clear up a bit more by Sunday, if you don't mind parking a little further away.

If I hadn't had my daughter's family with me, I would have talked with the working divers more the first day, or gone out to Perch Saturday, but it was a rough enough trip as it was. :)

D-D4-LosAlamos-10.jpg

D-D4-LosAlamos-11.jpg

D-D4-LosAlamos-09.jpg

D-D4-LosAlamos-12.jpg

We were out at blue hole a few months ago and shot some video (amatuer at best) but you are certainly welcome to have a look. Go to www.Lakediver.com and click on the "Lake Diver Videos" link and it is the one labeled "Blue Hole". We were there in the first part of March, it was our first trip there and we really liked the dive. It looks a lot different in these pictures for sure! Anyway, though someone might get a kick out of the video we made...enjoy!

Mike

I went out there sunday just to look, not dive. From looking at the surface the water seemed very cloudy, and I lost visual with some divers at only a few feet deep. Equipment was all over the place, but there were lots of swimmers and several divers, but not like a typical weekend. Does anyone know what they are doing? It looks like they are removing more loose rocks, and maybe "vacuuming" muck, but couldn't tell for sure. How long is the work supposed to last? I'd like to dive over July 4 weekend, but only if it is "worth it"

KC5UX:
I went out there sunday just to look, not dive. From looking at the surface the water seemed very cloudy, and I lost visual with some divers at only a few feet deep. Equipment was all over the place, but there were lots of swimmers and several divers, but not like a typical weekend. Does anyone know what they are doing? It looks like they are removing more loose rocks, and maybe "vacuuming" muck, but couldn't tell for sure. How long is the work supposed to last? I'd like to dive over July 4 weekend, but only if it is "worth it"
The working diver I spoke with last week said they're removing silt, and I suppose that's what the hay bale filter system is for - to trap the silt being pumped out with the water. He did mention moving some rocks, but I think the main objective is to clean out the muck so the floor as we know if won't cave in on the chamber below.

July 4 weekend? Who knows? City of SR has a web site, but they don't seem to post much. Again, you could dive Perch if you want shallower diving, or - I was told that The Hole has better viz below 40 ft.

Second-hand report confirming what Don and others have said:

Some of the staff from our shop took a bunch of students down last weekend, but because of conditions did all Open Water Diver training in Perch Lake.

They did a Sunday morning dive in the hole with advanced students, and reported that besides silt, they seem to be removing gravel and smaller rocks. The visibility was dramatically better at depth since the fresh water enters from the bottom.

I was there right before they started and was interested to see what the operation was doing. I also was there in august and was happy to say it is open for diving and the water was great better before the rest of the class hit the bottom but I was reaching the end of my bottom time anyway. Guess it pays to solo dive and leave for the bottom early. :)

Was anyone diving the blue hole in New Mexico today? I just saw on the news Santa Rosa got a foot of snow.

Was anyone diving the blue hole in New Mexico today? I just saw on the news Santa Rosa got a foot of snow.
This thread is 7 years old, you know. Today, it's about 90 degrees in Santa Rosa, so it must have been another Santa Rosa.

Don,
Correction: Sort of, OK yesterday, not today
Sorry, I didn't notice the thread was so old. According to Amarillo.com Santa Rosa was pounded with 2 feet of hail yesterday. 7/3/2013
Have a great and sweltering fourth,
Lee

Back
Top Bottom