A few Old/New reg's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been working my way into the vintage world of scuba for a few months now and I have managed to get my hands on a few gem's and I'm looking forward to getting the three double hose reg's fixed up. So I have a few questions first will I have any problems getting the Heatlthways & Aqualung to mate up to a new tank? Two what would be a good way to have a back up, just a pony? And three the Scubapro is just odd and can anyone out their tell me a little about why it looks so wierd?

Attachments

• IMG_9487.jpg
    IMG_9487.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2664.jpg
    IMG_2664.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 140
And three the Scubapro is just odd and can anyone out their tell me a little about why it looks so wierd?

Avonthediver,

The Scubapro first stage is a Mark 7. It has an internal sonic oscillating device that causes the 1st stage to honk with each inhalation when tank pressure gets low (the honking begins at approx 300 psig, depending). The honking eventually gets quite loud.

Scubapro manufactured these for a number of years. The last year it appeared in a catalog was 1987 or 1988. I'll double-check my catalogs to be sure.

Edit: Just checked. My 1987 Scubapro catalog shows the Mark 7 (No. 10-107-000), whereas my 1988 catalog does not. They are neat regulators, quite easy to service—provided you have a "Scubapro Tool"—and they are practically indestructible if they have been thoroughly washed after diving and routinely serviced. One concern: only two low-pressure ports, one "reserved" for the second stage, and the other facing the "wrong way" for a modern BC. (Both low pressure ports face toward the diver's right.)

Scubapro offered a swivel that screws into the non-2nd stage LP port and provides three LP ports. One of the LP ports on this swivel faces toward the diver's left, and this port was commonly used for the BC LP inflator hose.

Hope this helps.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Last edited:
All of the regs will fit on most modern tanks. I have seen one or 2 valves that are too thick but those are rare. The Healthways "SCUBA" you have (1957-60) is one of the more difficult ones to get back in service. Several of the rubber parts are very difficult to find, the HP seats can be had but are getting rare. Unfortunately it's best as a display. Conversely, the later models Scuba Delux (60-62) and the Gold Label (62-67) are easy to get back into service as long as you have a good HP seat, new reproduction diaphragms are available and exhast valves are a standard size. The Gold Label is actually a very good reg although it is a little touchy to get tuned up just right.

Complete rebuild parts are easily available for the MK-7 and 109 second stage, a very good second stage by the way.

Any service part you need is available for any US Diver DH reg plus there are a lot of upgrades available for it as well. Can and body parts are for the most part not being reproduced but if you ask around, a lot of us have spare parts that we are willing to part with to help get a reg back in service or the are lots of creative work arounds for many of the parts.

That scuba pro is pretty awesome! Honking underwater when low on air is a pretty cool feature.

That scuba pro is pretty awesome! Honking underwater when low on air is a pretty cool feature.

Crab4life,

They are *massive* (huge pieces of chromed brass that they are)! This together with the fact that this mass is worn so close to your head mean (1) you can remove one or two pounds from your weight belt, and (2) maintaining horizontal trim is made easier.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Thanks for all of the help. I have been looking on the enterweb to see what healthways kits and the like I could find and it seems that they are really a hard animal to find! Vintage double hose has some really good stuff but high but I guess you pay for vintage. And the scubapro is really really heavy feels like it weighs ten pounds in it self! I might try getting the aqualung going first.

The US Divers (Aqua Lung) are the easiest to service, get diagrams, any special tools, and get all the reproduction parts you need. VintageDoubleHose.com carries reproduction parts and all the service manuals are in the download section.

Which model US Divers do you have? I did not see it in the pictures.

The only US Divers vintage double hose regulator that is difficult to get working is the Royal Mistral (balanced single stage), but those are very rare.

The Scubapro Mk-7 is heavy, but it is also easy to service. The Scubapro 109 second stage has a large following. There are many divers that continue to prefer that second stage over any other regulator ever built.

Further to rx7diver have att pix of the add on which give more flexibility to the MK7 unit and the drawing to help rebuild,

johnSCUBAPRO MK7 PART2.jpgSCUBAPRO MK7.jpg4.jpg

Thanks for all of the help. I have been looking on the enterweb to see what healthways kits and the like I could find and it seems that they are really a hard animal to find! Vintage double hose has some really good stuff but high but I guess you pay for vintage. And the scubapro is really really heavy feels like it weighs ten pounds in it self! I might try getting the aqualung going first.

The Scuba Museum dot Com has your Healthways Diaphragm, o-rings and seats:

Products

The prices at VDH are not, in my opinion, that high, considering your other options are usually NOS parts. The new parts at VDH are really outstanding and will improve your reg performance to better than new. Additionally, the service at VDH is top notch. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences dealing with them. Keep in mind, if you're planning to only display the reg, then you can likely get away with out replacing everything. If you're planning to dive it, then rebuilding the reg is going to be the least headache in the long run. I have 3 DH regs that are now equipped with Phoenix valve and in the past 3 1/2 years, I've replaced nothing. All the parts(minus a DBE I broke with a wrench) are 3-4 years old and still working perfectly. That's money well spent in my book.

Good luck with your regs and safe diving, let us know how they turn out.

Crab4life,

They are *massive* (huge pieces of chromed brass that they are)! This together with the fact that this mass is worn so close to your head mean (1) you can remove one or two pounds from your weight belt, and (2) maintaining horizontal trim is made easier.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Wow sounds like you would need "Jaws of Steel" to use one of those!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom