A few Old/New reg's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second stage is normal size, it's the first stage (attached to the tank) that's big. My buddy has two and I'm slowly trying to talk him out of one.

I showed this in an old post. This reg belongs to an old friend (actually, an instructor who was my TA for my initial university scuba course). Learned quite a bit from him. Before I met him, he had worked for a few years as an instructor on Grand Cayman, where he used this reg daily, heavily.

More than a dozen years ago he asked me to service his reg for him, which I did. (See the "new" hoses?) Although the Mark 7 (and the 2nd stages) looks quite worn on the outside, it is pristine on the inside.

I e-mail my old friend periodically to remind him I still have his reg! I think he likes remembering his good times with the reg, though I think he has lost interest in it. He travels a lot, and dives only occasionally, and when he does, he rents.

ScubaproSeconds_20110331b_lg.jpg

......luckily it's a Honker, that gauge isn't going to be much help:)

The Scuba Museum dot Com has your Healthways Diaphragm, o-rings and seats:

Products

The prices at VDH are not, in my opinion, that high, considering your other options are usually NOS parts. The new parts at VDH are really outstanding and will improve your reg performance to better than new. Additionally, the service at VDH is top notch. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences dealing with them. Keep in mind, if you're planning to only display the reg, then you can likely get away with out replacing everything. If you're planning to dive it, then rebuilding the reg is going to be the least headache in the long run. I have 3 DH regs that are now equipped with Phoenix valve and in the past 3 1/2 years, I've replaced nothing. All the parts(minus a DBE I broke with a wrench) are 3-4 years old and still working perfectly. That's money well spent in my book.

Good luck with your regs and safe diving, let us know how they turn out.

Thanks for the input and yes as I come along with my regs I'll let the forum know how they turn out and I'm sure to be looking for info as I learn! :wink:

Back in the day when this came out we still had j valves and k valves were coming to be. many divers did not have a spg or were diving with a j valve. Hence the honking regulator.

That scuba pro is pretty awesome! Honking underwater when low on air is a pretty cool feature.

Back in the day...

My understanding (from my university scuba instructor, who was also a Scubapro/US Divers dealer) is that a lot of these Mark 7's he sold were used by divers who would dive in Missouri farm ponds or in lakes around docks/marinas. In these waters even if you wore a SPG, you couldn't read it—even if you had a strong light!

My understanding (from my university scuba instructor, who was also a Scubapro/US Divers dealer) is that a lot of these Mark 7's he sold were used by divers who would dive in Missouri farm ponds or in lakes around docks/marinas. In these waters even if you wore a SPG, you couldn't read it—even if you had a strong light!

The Navy and OSHA still requires some form of reserve mechanism (normally a J valve) in low visibility water, because you can't always see an SPG.

The Navy and OSHA still requires some form of reserve mechanism (normally a J valve) in low visibility water, because you can't always see an SPG.

ah, so that is why that one twinset manifold with the j is still in production...... (I want one so badly).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom