A drysuit question for the ladies...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drug store. I've been doing it for 10 years- after the first purchase- it isnt a big deal. For long dives- really long dives- try layering!

Not that I think it would be "easy and painless", but would spirit gum work for adhering an external cath for women? I've used the stuff for theatrical and halloween makeup applications in the past, and it will give you a good, watertight seal if you apply it liberally to both the skin and "the appliance" in such a way that the treated parts will mate when the cath is in place. Just give both a few minutes to dry/cure before sticking the cath on, and have some spirit gum remover ready when you want to take it off.

I've never seen the female version of the cath, so I don't know if it would be possible to get a good seal all the way around, but I know the stuff holds up well, and it's designed for sticking latex to skin.

As a yucky example, I once went as a devil to a halloween party at a very warm bar, and I wore hollow horns I had applied with spirit gum. When I took them off at the end of the night, I was suprised (and grossed out) to find that the horns, which had filled with sweat like little shot glasses, dumped their contents into my eyes. They didn't leak at all until I removed them, and a number of drunken party-goers had touched/manhandled them over the course of the evening.

Just a thought... I have no idea if it will work.

I've been diving "dry" for about 100 dives and 6 months, and the solution depends (hahahaha) on the dive profile.

Plan A) Less than 90 minute dive, within NDL: I try to stay reasonably hydrated (but not overhydrated,) and visit the head right before sealing the suit. Haven't had a problem with this, only cut one dive a little short due to needing to get back to the boat after about 80 minutes. I had no deco obligation, so no problem.
Between dives: I drink a full bottle of water the minute I get back on deck, then visit the head at the end of the SI before re-sealing the suit. Timing is usually perfect. If not, go to plan B

Plan B) Anticipated deco obligation, or awareness that I might be too well hydrated on the SI, or no bathroom facilities available when shore-diving: Max Absorbancy women's unrinary incontinence pads. They aren't "diapers" and don't change the fit of my drysuit at all. Available at every drug store and Target. The adhesive strip sticks it to my undies and it doesn't move. Perfectly comfortable and I usually forget I'm even wearing it. Diving had better be fun enough to overlook minor inconveniences, right????

Then, if I need to pee while I'm diving, I'll usually get more or less vertical, and pee just enough to get comfortable. This tip came from an experienced deco diver I know who said: "I'd rather not risk getting my suit wet, so I pee just enough to get comfy... no more."
(Now there's a sentence you don't usually hear outside of the diving community!!)

And, Yeah, of course one starts each dive with a dry pad.... Duh! I'm diving dry, not stupid!!!

Anyway, this is what has worked consistently for me. Never a problem, never a leak. Can do 6 dives a day and love every single blessed moment of it!

do it easy:
I have a p-valve on my drysuit, but I've been experimenting with Huggies lately in case I need to use a rental suit.

..... exactly why I don't use rental suits.... I doubt the inside of a drysuit
is ever "rinsed" out after someone "uses" it. (uses in it)

The incontinence pads sound like a good idea that I will certainly tell her about.

I've never seen the female version of the cath, so I don't know if it would be possible to get a good seal all the way around, but I know the stuff holds up well, and it's designed for sticking latex to skin.

The one she ordered doesn't cover the entire genital area, it is instead just a little funnel looking thing that goes directly the urethra and is sealed with a gummy substance. There just isn't really enough surface area to get a good seal between the catheter and body. We even tried to attach as shown in the instructions with the gummy stuff and then ran a piece of easy release medical paper tape about an inch wide from the bottom to the top of her, well you know, but this didn't work either.

Hipshot:
The incontinence pads sound like a good idea that I will certainly tell her about.

The one she ordered doesn't cover the entire genital area, it is instead just a little funnel looking thing that goes directly the urethra and is sealed with a gummy substance. There just isn't really enough surface area to get a good seal between the catheter and body. We even tried to attach as shown in the instructions with the gummy stuff and then ran a piece of easy release medical paper tape about an inch wide from the bottom to the top of her, well you know, but this didn't work either.
My goodness, is this your wife you are talking about or just a GOOD friend? No male friend of mine would be helping me in this area, can't help but get a visual of this situation the two of you had here and its just not lookin good lol

octgal:
My goodness, is this your wife you are talking about or just a GOOD friend? No male friend of mine would be helping me in this area, can't help but get a visual of this situation the two of you had here and its just not lookin good lol
i didnt wanna say anything but.. ...... well yeah

Very Good friend! I know it sounds funny, and would you believe me if I told you my wife was in the same room? We were all laughing so hard we had big tears streaming down our faces. I said it was just me and her but my wife was in on it to and was the one helping with the glue applications, I was just doing visual inspections and I did get to apply the tape. Also, let me just tell you that I now know that women can be so crude they could make a sailor blush! Man did the humorous analogies get out of hand during the ordeal. At first our friend said that to make it fair I couldn't wear pants during the ordeal and I also had to have my condom catheter on for equal humiliation but my wife said no and saved me on that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom