A diver's got to know their limitations: Diving within your limits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask any experienced photographer or videographer and they will tell you that they often hold their breath for a few moments to get the shot. Scalloped Hammerheads are notoriously shy and afraid of a diver's exhalation bubbles. The trick to filming them is either to be on a closed circuit rebreather or hold your breathe as long as you can to let them come closer to you before you must take another breath. Of course, we are trained to never hold one's breath upon ascension but to get the footage down deep, it is pretty common.

Ask any experienced photographer or videographer and they will tell you that they often hold their breath for a few moments to get the shot. Scalloped Hammerheads are notoriously shy and afraid of a diver's exhalation bubbles. The trick to filming them is either to be on a closed circuit rebreather or hold your breathe as long as you can to let them come closer to you before you must take another breath. Of course, we are trained to never hold one's breath upon ascension but to get the footage down deep, it is pretty common.

Sorry sharky! I did not hold my breath out at Malpelo & Galapagos and ended up with relatively good shots (I was on OC) vs. the Mk6 guys. I find that long steady rythmic breathing (1 in 1 out >15m else 2 in 2 out) works better around predators in most cases. Works great in Asia too! Perhaps understanding a little of these magnificent creatures' behaviours helps a lot too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom