A dispute at Glenn's Aquarius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Let me start this by saying I've been renting tanks for years from Glenn's Aquarius, indeed even before it was bought by these folks, on the Breakwater and never had any previous issue. My friend and I dove the Metridium Fields today (rather green but a solid 15 - 20' of viz at the dark bottom). We rented Steel 95s and set out for a very fun dive. Both my friend and I surfaced with roughly 400psi after a nice hourlong dive. This pressure was a bit lower than planned after our safety stop, but we certainly felt within a safe margin for error. Indeed, we pride ourselves on being good safe divers who very much enjoy this sport. OK, there's the setup and perhaps you can see where this is going.

Firstly, our mistakes. Glenn apparently has had an issue with folks returning tanks with very low pressure and having to perform expensive maintenance on his rental tanks. In the shop, there is a sign on the front counter saying that divers must return rental tanks with no less than 300 psi. Also, the rental agreement states in the fine print the same exact information. Divers whom do not comply with this will be charged $15 extra. I did not see this sign, and I confess I did not read the fine print as I've rented so many tanks in the past from virtually all the dive shops in Monterey, I guess I've just gotten fatigued of reading through them some time ago. I've never had an issue....so....anyways...my bad. Had I read this, I would have made sure there was more of a margin for error on the tank when surfacing. Even still, I really didn't see how this could be an issue, even after we blew water off our regulator caps with the tanks remaining air pressure. We certainly didn't blow through 100psi. But, an issue it absolutely became for us and them this afternoon.

Upon returning the tanks, the first guy checked to see that these tanks had remaining air. They certinaly did and thus was proceeding to charge us and complete the transaction. After a moment, a very abrasive tall bald individual came bustling into the shop having taken our tanks to be refilled. This person acuses us of trying sneak out after giving back their tanks with very short fills less than 300psi each. Sneak out? We're standing there at the counter trying to pay for our tanks with no idea what this individual's problem was. It was at that time that we were told of their policy about the 300psi rule. OK, we both replied that we had both returned out tanks with greater than this amount, albeit probably pretty close. But instead, they are now insisting that we pay $30 extra to cover the cost of a hydro inspection and that the tanks almost certainly had water in them. The tall individual claims that he verbally warned us of this rule when renting the tanks that morning, which was flat untrue to both my buddy and my memory. This person clearly had issues above and beyond anything to do with us. We were perfectly calm and stayed that way throughout this encounter, yet this individual was clearly agitated at us for reasons I could not understand. At this point, Glenn(owner) came into the shop and came up to speed on what was happening. Glenn informed us that this had been an issue for him and wanted to show us what a bad tank looked like from previous rentals. We were in a bit of a hurry so I suggested that we simply pay what was owed and leave as I didn't believe for a second that we had damaged anything. Look, I won't bore you all with the rest of the details to this rather long story, but the short story is that I flat refused to pay the extra fine over the next 20 minutes of discussion. I can be a stubborn SOB for sure and my take on this was that we were being picked on because they had suffered some loss recently due to empty returned tanks and were looking to stick it to people that were borderline cases to recoup their previous losses. I don't know that obviously, but that was my gut reaction and I absolutely felt it completely unfair to fine us an additional $30 for these tanks. I didn't believe for a second that these things were damaged in any way and well....the tall bald dude flat put me in a mood with his beligerance that lasted the entire process until he left the room. I felt we were being treated unfairly. But to his credit, after a long unsettling discussion and a shockingly arrogant lecture about diving safety, Glenn told us to be more careful next time and ended up not charging us the extra fine. Not a problem as we won't be back to this shop with so many excellent shops throughout Monterey. Fortunately, we have many excellent choices in the area.

Look, I'm all for supporting our local dive shops. Lord knows too many of them have closed down over the past few years. But this incident upset me and got me thinking pretty hard on the long drive home to San Jose this afternoon. To wrap this up, an observation and a question for you tank owners out there....

1. Be advised of this rule at Glenn's Aquarius and obey it less you be fined $15 per tank. Apparently, it has been a problem for them and the brick and mortar dive store is in enough peril these days.

2. My impression had always been, I suppose through some previous training, that only an empty tank was a threat to get water in it. Admitedly, I have always rented tanks through many years of diving and do not know. So for you tank owners, at what pressure point is a tank in danger of being contaminated?

Thanks,

Mark

There is no way water is getting into a 300psi tank. They were nice to me when I needed change for the meters last week though. Sorry you had a bad experience with them.

I guess if you bring tanks back with marginal pressure, you might want to be there when they check the pressure or start the fills.

There is no way water is getting into a 300psi tank.
Well actually yes if Mark was diving to over 600ft with 300psi in his tank he could get water in which is what I suppose must have happened:lotsalove:

As far as my (admittedly tired after working 21 consecutive nightshifts) brain is telling me at the moment, the pressure need to be equal or lower inside the tank vs the outside of the tank for anything to go anywhere but out of the tank..

Look....

I am very sorry this happened to you and I will relay to Glen that he has lost your business which is a shame.

I have been for years and am good friends with Glen (owner) and Trevor (Bald dude) I am not trying to defend them, I think if you had gone straight to Glen with the issue it would have been a better experience for you.

Please also understand that being right there on the jetty and doing most of the tank rentals and fills they have a LOT of problems with students bringing their tanks back close to bone dry, And so yes Trevor can get a bit testy...He even has with me and I have been a friend of many years and don't rent tanks and still had him bite my head off, But I jump right back and put him in his place.

If you see fit send me a PM and let me try to make this right for you!!

They really are great people!

They may be great people, and I don't doubt that for a minute. However, this is far from the first such story I've heard about that shop. Apparently, they have a thing or two to learn about how to treat their paying customers with respect, even if some counseling is in order.

To answer your question as to how much air must be in the tank, I honestly don't know. Although, I do work at a LDS and while we don't have a set rule as to how much air must be in the tank, I am required to make sure there is air in the tank. Meaning I open the valve for a few seconds, air comes out and were done. Now that all being said, if a tank (any tank i.e. customers or rental) is returned to us without air in it, it cannot be filled until it has passed a visual inspection (VIP).

We charge $12 for a vip. If it passes the vip it's on to the fill and case closed. However, if it requires a tumble that can be an extra $30-50 dollars and if fails the vip all together then it will require a Hydro which we charge $30 for. As you can see the fees do add up, so it's not uncommon for shops to require a minimum air pressure in the tank upon being returned for their rentals and obvioulsy it's up to each dive shop owners discretion as to how much.

But you've got me thinking now and my LDS is a small ma and pa shop, and we don't have a sign or a waiver to forewarn our customers that you need to return it with air in it. I think they just assume that if your a diver you know these things. Although, in light of your experience, I may just ask to have them put one up.

That said though, since we'd do the vip's and hydros in house, it wouldn't be as big of a problem for us. It's very well possible Glenn has to outsourse his vip's and hydros which would not only costs him money but also puts his tank out of commission and depending on his outsourcing arrangement that could mean days without being able to make money on his tank. So if that was the case with his shop, then I could see how it would be a bit of a sore spot for him, especially being that a large percentage of his customer base is newly certified divers who wouldn't be aware of the costs associated with an empty tank.

Albeit, sore spot or not, that never excuses poor customer handeling in anyway and it's a real bummer that the situation got so out of hand. I know Glenn and although he is a character and a half, who can sometimes lack tact with his employees, he has always been very good to us. Hopefully, he will hear of losing your business and talk with Trevor and make this a learning experience for the shop. For without our customers, we are nothing and every single LDS owner is painfully aware of this fact.

Physics prevents water at atmospheric pressure from entering a pressurized vessel, even if that pressure is only positive by a few pounds. Telling people that they charge extra for a tank with less 300 seems more like a plea and a warning than anything else. I’m surprised they actually charged you.

Sort of sucks when a (hopefully) good day of diving gets clouded by stuff like this. Not taking sides, but I will say that I NEVER go into Glenns Aquarius because of all the stories I have heard. I am just not in the mood to deal with that kind of stuff. I would rather walked to MBDC. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom