A different kind of double hose and other vintage gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does seem that I need to carry a Limpet mine with it.

Oops, now you're on the homeland security list.

Here's a book to go along with the limpet:
Picture117.jpg

Dang, now I'm on the list too.

Sorry Walter. I can email you the pictures if you like.

John, I am not sure what to say other than it was totally quiet… no air noise. Also, you are probably aware that you have no buoyancy control with your lungs, the gas just moves back and forth between the lungs and counter lung. There is basically no volume change.

I have tried a mix-gas re-breather before and I have been reading a lot about re-breathers, so there were no surprises, but even if it was what I expected, actually using one is a great experience.

An O2 re-breather is technically very simple, but you should either find a mentor, an instructor, or educate yourself extensively before playing with one. I am sure you know that O2 re-breathers are only good to about 20 feet.

JamesBon92007, if you are interested on the heavy gear you should join the Historical Diving Society. I believe there is at least one group of hard hat divers in the west coast that puts together vintage dive rallies similar to this one. You can probably find them through the HDS.

Now that's some cool stuff.... Oh, and Big Brother is watching you...:crafty:

Sorry Walter. I can email you the pictures if you like.

John, I am not sure what to say other than it was totally quiet… no air noise. Also, you are probably aware that you have no buoyancy control with your lungs, the gas just moves back and forth between the lungs and counter lung. There is basically no volume change.

I have tried a mix-gas re-breather before and I have been reading a lot about re-breathers, so there were no surprises, but even if it was what I expected, actually using one is a great experience.

An O2 re-breather is technically very simple, but you should either find a mentor, an instructor, or educate yourself extensively before playing with one. I am sure you know that O2 re-breathers are only good to about 20 feet.

JamesBon92007, if you are interested on the heavy gear you should join the Historical Diving Society. I believe there is at least one group of hard hat divers in the west coast that puts together vintage dive rallies similar to this one. You can probably find them through the HDS.

I have thought that the rebreathers would be great for fish watching and observation in shallow water in the rivers around here. But I've always been skittish of them because of the effects of pure oxygen, and the potential problems if they were not purged well. That's why I like the double hose regulators, as I do a lot of that kind of observation. To be truthful, I had never thought about the buoyancy issues of not being able to use your breath for buoyancy control. That is interesting!

Thanks,

John

What a freakin day....and got pics to boot.

I have thought that the rebreathers would be great for fish watching and observation in shallow water in the rivers around here.

You right about that! I have experience that over and over again - fish coming out of the hiding, after last bubble maker leaves the water letting you come much closer than on the open circuit. Don't get me wrong, they are still shy, but there is a difference in distance you can approach them. And that silence! you don't realize how noisy is scuba underwater until you try one of this.

But I've always been skittish of them because of the effects of pure oxygen, and the potential problems if they were not purged well.

Once learn how to do it properly, purging is a fairly easy procedure.
You can find the proper procedure for purging LAR V(the one that Luis dove) in US Navy Diving Manual. Three time purging give consistently high percentage of oxygen in the loop (>90%).
Putting the unit together and all the predive checks are a little bit more complicated than on OC, but then during a dive you just have to control your max depth - it is that simple.

That's why I like the double hose regulators, as I do a lot of that kind of observation..
On double hose you just redirect bubbles to the back of your head. It is not the same on closed circuit.

To be truthful, I had never thought about the buoyancy issues of not being able to use your breath for buoyancy control. That is interesting!.

There is a bit of learning in that, but not that much. Remember, lot of those oxygen RBs have no overpressure valves. They were design to not leave the tail-tell bubbles.
rgrds
Tomek

Back
Top Bottom