A day with the NCDers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So yesterday was the NCD monthly club dive at Gerstle Cove. Finally the stars aligned and I made it and boy am I glad I did. I meet up with Andy, Odie, Kevin, Joy, Eric, and Ericson. All were friendly, inviting, and willing to help me out in doing my first north coast dive.

The first thing I noticed was the drive there was a lot prettier. I took I-80 from Sacramento to CA-37 to US-101 to River Rd in Santa Rosa which meets up with CA-116 and then US-1 to Salt Point State Point. Half the distance was the turn onto the 101 but that only took about 1/3 of the time. From there on there was lots of tree covered areas, twists and turns, and nature. It was a nice drive though that section of 1 took me for a surprise about how long it'd take to go the 20 miles :D

The dive was setup to be South Gerstle but since the climb down and entrance were a bit more then I'm used to Kevin got me to North Gerstle where it wasn't as bad. So after swapping gear around Kevin, Joy, and I went to North Gerstle, dropped the gear off, parked, and started getting geared up. Kevin gave what has to be the most compressive pre-dive communication and dive plan I've had in a long while :D We proceeded basically straight out of the cove and the turned around to come back in. I got to see lots of cool stuff like the different kind of kelp and plant life, a nice big white nudi, and a huge arse octopus chilling in some kelp. Also saw a bunch of abs and had a chance to look at one up close. Was a nice dive and really got a chance to practice the side by side by side buddy system. Though at the turn around point we had fun playing musical positions and "where'd he go?" as I was floating above Kevin :D

Dive details:
54 mins
Max depth 39ft
Avg depth 22ft
Temp: ~52
Vis: 10 to 15 ft

After the first dive we all meet back up, played a game of "are Odie and Eric coming back from the campsite?", and after their return it was "Kevin and Joy took off with all the tanks, I guess we are all going to the camp site". Had a good SI talking to everyone, enjoying some freshly caught scallops, and just chilling.

For the second dive we all did South Gerstle using a different place to enter. Of course it required climbing down the side of a hill using a worn area and not really a path. This time I went with Odie and Joy doing basically the same thing as the first dive (straight out and back). This time the vis was about half and there didn't seem to be as much to see, but there was a lot more kelp :D Saw some crabs and something that I swear looked like a seahorse but upon closer inspection wasn't (don't know what it was).

Climbing over those slime covered rocks was a pain but kinda fun in its own way. The hard part was once you were in the water you really didn't know if you were really deep enough to put your fins on. Didn't seem like you found a proper place where it was going to be deep enough as a spot between some rocks. But if you moved a foot in any direction there was another rock. Coming back in the other 4 were already there and helped us in. I immediately laid down on some rocks to catch my breath and prepare for the climb back up the hill. Surprisingly the climb back didn't seem as bad as the climb down.

Dive details:
48 mins
Max depth 47ft
Avg depth 26ft
Temp ~50
Vis 7 ft

All in all it was a great day and I'm looking forward to my next trip north.

No pictures as my camera is with Sea&Sea getting the hot pixel issue taken care of. Probably a good thing though :D

Totally forgot to mention that when we got back to the dive site for dive #2 we meetup with the infamous Peter C. Had a blast talking to him even though he dissed by Force Fins :D

And to answer his question: The reg is a RG3000.

Mike,

I'm glad you got to come it. Wasn't it great to run into Peter_C? I haven't seen him in a while. Now you've gotta try Stillwater Cove & Russian Gulch in Mendo. Both are fairly easy entries compared to the dives we did yesterday.

-eR

Mike,

I'm glad you got to come it. Wasn't it great to run into Peter_C? I haven't seen him in a while. Now you've gotta try Stillwater Cove & Russian Gulch in Mendo. Both are fairly easy entries compared to the dives we did yesterday.

-eR

Fort Ross is pretty nice and the entry is easy...once you shlep all your gear to the beach that is. Wow, it's been way too long since I've been diving the North Coast!

It was fun seeing everyone, even though it was for such a short time. I took a friend out who had not been in the water for a long time, so went back to Still Water, after checking many of the easy entry dive sites, looking for more reliable vis. Didn't find good vis there either. Then knowing my friends were at Gerstle Cove we went and chased them down. Hanging out with the group, was very much like old times :) Wished I would have been able to camp, but there was too much else going on this weekend, and I needed cell service, to attempt to sell the Suburban.

What a beautiful weekend California had for us. What more can a person ask for...other than maybe less of an algae bloom.

Mike, no need to be overly protective of your fins now...when Force fins build a pair that has reverse let me know and I will try them again with an open mind :wink: The RG3000 is a great reg, thanks for checking on that. We worked it out on the ride home though, and Don is going to get my back up reg set (MK25/S600's), along with everything else he is missing, BP/W, clips, fins with reverse, computer, etc., in trade for his Zodiac.

I do wonder if you could pull off a reverse by using a different kicking method. I've been meaning to make a post in the FF forum talking about different kicks to get the same effect of the frog, reverse, and helicopter. I have a feeling that the fin can do it, just got to move it differently.

I know I can get a bit of reverse (not enough to be useful so far) but kinda "shoveling" the fin with my feet. Put the fins horizontal in the water and move my legs out then rotate the fins down while pulling the legs in.

I primarily use the frog kick and do find a need to reverse and helicopter all the time. In a pool with Oren's Force Fins I could not make my normal kicks work well enough. The Force Fins just do not have enough surface area. The new Hollis fins seem to be making a hit in the scuba world though. You should try a pair with an open mind :mooner: Of course a pair of Jets or Turtles should suffice :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom